C4 Forums | Control4

Terminating RS232

AS2

hey guys,

it's been a while since I terminated serial at a TV. I've got CAT5 to the TV from the MC, but I can't find the right piece to terminate it. I know radio shack has the solder-on rs232 plug, but I remeber there was a cool green screw-in terminal type rs232 block by Bitronix (sp?), but I can't find them anywhere.

What does everyone else use? Also, I could def use a refresher course on the appropriate way to terminate it. It's pins 1, 5 & 7 right?

I am actually doing this right now! We have been using the radio shack CRIMP ends, which seem to work great. No soldier or anything. It's pins 2, 3, and 5. With CAT5 usually I do blue/white as 2, blue as 3, and orange as 5(which is ground) I forget which 2 and 3 are (RX and TX but which is which i'd have to go look). Does that help?

You crimp one part to the plastic shielding of the Cat5 and one to the metal itself.

can you explain this a little further? you use the pliers to squeeze the terminals? I'm am the worst at reading/understanding written directions...

Haha, it's alright. It's hard to explain without you seeing the final product.

Actually, I just found the crimper for it

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103683&cp=2032058.2032231.2032285&pg=2&parentPage=family

I was trying to find the actual ends that you connect but I couldn't. You take the little bitty pin (that actually plugs into the socket) and crimp the very outer edge of the part where you insert the wire onto the plastic coating of the SINGLE cat5 wire. There is another area that you then crimp to the actual wire (the metal part). Ugh, this is starting to sound more complicated than my first definition. I guess it's pointless until you actually have it in front of you. Hit me up then.

Yep, the RJ45/DB9 adapters are awesome. Most A/V distributors have them. Where do you get your wire from? That would be the first place I would look, unless you buy everything direct from Monster :( or Audioquest, etc.

Just pin them up the same way every time and make all your RJ45s the same every time and you'll never have to figure out which wires to use :cool:

Archived