C4 Forums | Control4

HC-200 with SR-250: IPOD with ONKYO dock poor audio quality

I am using IPOD 2nd Generation Nano with ONKYO dock(DS-A3) with ONKYO receiver(607) but when I play music not getting enough audio quality with BOSE.Do I need to change any settings on the IPOD or receiver or change the format of audio mp3(320 KBPS).

First off the signal coming out of the Onkyo dock is only analog. I am sure your DVD/Blu-ray is hooked up digital 5.1. Can you explain more as to your poor Bose audio quality with respect to the iPod. I.E. is not filling the room because it is only stereo? No High's and No Low's? Not as loud as my DVD? To say you are not getting good enough audio quality is a pretty broad generalization. More info would be appreciated. Where is the EQ setting on the iPod? Flat, Loudness on, etc? Thanks.

First off the signal coming out of the Onkyo dock is only analog. I am sure your DVD/Blu-ray is hooked up digital 5.1. Can you explain more as to your poor Bose audio quality with respect to the iPod. I.E. is not filling the room because it is only stereo? No High's and No Low's? Not as loud as my DVD? To say you are not getting good enough audio quality is a pretty broad generalization. More info would be appreciated. Where is the EQ setting on the iPod? Flat, Loudness on, etc? Thanks.

when I play DVDs,i would get great quality of sound, even though with high volume but when I play Ipod music with little more high volume,it sounds like stereo(analog).I changed the EQ to Acoustic and tried all with no EQ too but still not good enough and worked on DVD Audio that gives me better than mp3 quality sound but I can't choose the album,artist etc.It just plays all songs.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Your iPod only outputs stereo analog. No digital output from an iPod can be had. I would set my iPod eq to flat and then adjust my stereos surround sound mode to something like all channel stereo or 5 channel stereo. The other thing you might be hearing is a low record bit rare. 128 is cd quality anything less than that is a poorer quality. These are settings that can be adjusted in iTunes under record quality. Good luck

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Your iPod only outputs stereo analog. No digital output from an iPod can be had. I would set my iPod eq to flat and then adjust my stereos surround sound mode to something like all channel stereo or 5 channel stereo. The other thing you might be hearing is a low record bit rare. 128 is cd quality anything less than that is a poorer quality. These are settings that can be adjusted in iTunes under record quality. Good luck

I tried to change settings with EQ to acoustic will give better quality but how do I adjust the ONKYO receiver to produce the stereo surround which connected to BOSE speaker system.

..... The other thing you might be hearing is a low record bit rare. 128 is cd quality anything less than that is a poorer quality. ....

I'm not one to split hairs but 128kbps is NOWHERE near CD quality. So let's just squash that idea right now. I've heard 192kbps referred to as near CD quality but it falls short as well. Try getting up to 256kbps or 320kbps and we can all argue whether or not the human ear can tell the difference. Try Flac or Apple Lossless for CD quality as a comparative statement of CD quality and no one will question you.

128kbps is just wrong !

Hear is what I should have said. A sample rate of 44.1 kHz is almost always used, because this is also used for CD audio, the main source used for creating MP3 files. A greater variety of bit rates are used on the Internet. The rate of 128 kbit/s is the most common, offering adequate audio quality in a relatively small space. As Internet bandwidth availability and hard drive sizes have increased, higher bit rates like 160 and 192 kbit/s have increased in popularity.

Uncompressed audio as stored on an audio-CD has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s, so the bitrates 128, 160 and 192 kbit/s represent compression ratios of approximately 11:1, 9:1 and 7:1 respectively.

Nice stats. Wrong is wrong. Take the best case scenario ,go rip some files and see if you notice the difference on a decent (or not so decent for that matter) a/v system. The problem with these forums positive and negative is folks use them as a point of reference. Fact is your just wrong . Go run your own googles, your the pro I'm not going to educate you.

You said it your self : 128kbps is 11 to 1. It is NOT CD quality and the ear CAN hear it.

I have 320 KBPS MP3 not the 128 KBPS also tried changing them to AAC audio files with ITunes.I used cirilinca s/w to burn them into DVD VIDEO to play them with my SONY Mega Changer works 5.1 but the problem is I can't see any album info or track info to change.When I load this disk it just plays extreme 5.1 good quality.I called cirilinca they said,some DVD player supports and some does not.So looks like my SONY 400 disc Blu Ray does not supports the track info for DVD Video(AUDIO).

Archived