C4 Forums | Control4

Distributing audio from a 'distant' source.

Greetings! I have a WD TV Live (plus TV) in a downstairs room, and would like to get its audio piped into the C4 system, so I can have that audio come out the speakers in the room.

Running audio cables from the downstairs room to the upstairs closet where the audio matrix and amps are (plus most other equpment) is just not feasible in my house.

Right now I have a HC300 downstairs, and 2 upstairs, all running 1.7.4. I run the audio from the WD into the downstairs HC300. Audio is routed, but it somes out *insanely* delayed - at least 3 seconds. Other posts seem to say that this is a 'known' problem, but nobody cares enough to fix it. (Aside - I could see *maybe* 1/10 of a second delay. On a 100 Mbit network, digitizing to WAV and back should be almost instant.) I don't want to upgrade to 2.0 at this time, and I haven't seen any indication that 2.0 fixes it.

I know it's not the WD TV Live introducing the delay - I have another one upstairs fed into the audio matrix, and the audio is fine.

So - any other solutions? Right now I'm using the speakers on the TV :(. Has anyone used one of those wireless audio 'bridges'? They look pretty cheesy, seems like interference and noise would be an issue.

Thoughts?

The delay isn't because of the network, it is because the processor in the HC300. My cell phone has a more powerful processor...seriously.

That's the cause off your delay...the encoding and decoding of the audio. Sorry you don't find it acceptable, but that's they way it is. I'm afraid the only fix its going to be running wire.

The 100Mb network does not have as much to do with the delay as does the time it takes to encode and then decode the audio. As you probably know the network has nothing to do with the encode/decode. There will always be a delay of some sort.

If there is no spare wire you might be able to use a spare pair on the network cable to use with audio baluns.

Just curious - what does the HC300 encode to? If it's taking that much processor time, I sure do wish there was an option to just go to WAV. 44100 samples *2 (stereo) * 16 (bit resolution) ~= 1.4 Mbps. Even THAT should be easy.

Do 2.0 do anything different?

Archived