C4 Forums | Control4

Turn on theater via a keypad in another room

EagleMoon

My Sony projector takes several minutes to come on so I'd like to program a keypad upstairs so that it's the equivalent of pressing the "Control4" button on the theater remote which turns on the projector, AV receiver and brings up C4 menu.

I see two possibilities: 1) setting the room variable "POWER_STATE" to TRUE, or 2) Send command "CONTROL4" to Theater. I'm not sure that setting the variable does what I need, so I think sending the CONTROL4 command is the right approach. Am I correct?

Related to this, I think I need to trigger it with a multi-button tap to avoid inadvertently turning the theater on, something like below. See anything I should do differently?

When Stairway->6-Button Keypad button 4 is triple-clicked

Reset Timer 'Start Theater' (This would be 3-4 seconds)

When Stairway->6-Button Keypad button 5 is triple-clicked

If Timer 'Start Theater' is running

Send command 'CONTROL4' to Theater

Stop Timer 'Start Theater'

Looks good to me, I like your approach. The idea behind the timer is to make it so that TWO triple clicks are required, and in a certain order, for it execute, correct? A variable would also work in place of the timer, both would work fine.

I would also set an LED to toggle based on whether the timer is started or stopped, and also have the second LED do something to indicate that it did indeed execute the "4" command.

Looks good to me!

The idea behind the timer is to make it so that TWO triple clicks are required, and in a certain order, for it execute, correct? A variable would also work in place of the timer, both would work fine.

I would also set an LED to toggle based on whether the timer is started or stopped, and also have the second LED do something to indicate that it did indeed execute the "4" command.

The timer was to make sure the second triple-click occurred immediately after the first, so that someone didn't do the first triple-click, then sometime later they or someone else happened to triple-click the other. I've thought about programming it so that a press of any other button but #5 would stop the timer. I'm thinking of little fingers playing around with the "pretty" lighted buttons because this particular keypad is on the end of a low half-wall at the entrance to a staircase, so easily within reach of a toddler. The theater is downstairs so this is the logical place to do it.

Good idea on using the LEDs to provide feedback. I'd been wondering, "how do I know I pressed them correctly?" Maybe I'll flash them briefly just after sending the command, then turn one a different color. Have to remember to set it back to blue when the theater is turned off; I guess program that to the theater POWER_STATE change.

Archived