C4 Forums | Control4

Funny Lamps & C4 Outlet Dimmer

The plan is to connect 2 lamps via outlet 1 & 2 of the C4 Outlet dimmer

Plugged the two lamps. BUT even at the OFF state of the outlets there is a dimmed light coming from both lamps.

When I switch it to the ON state then there is full power and the lamp is bright as it should be.

This would mean of course that lamps are always on, OFF=dim, ON= well, ON.

Is there a trickle power that passes through the lamps even when it is supopsedly OFF? Is there a way to control or eliminate this load? I have not noticed this in my other lamp, or my test bulb for that matter. Any suggestions?

Did you configure the outlet switch properly ? It's not a plug it in and it works device. It needs to know what the draw is when the connected device is on and what the draw is when off. This is called the "power learning" process. It's an 8 step process performed after you id the outlet switch.

thanks dg, Does this 8 steps apply for outlet DIMMERs also? Cause if it does I would like to control that load before th actual ON state

(I got to look to that power learning process I've got a switch that is misbehaving)

Thanks, tigrzeye/dgbrown,

Is that what is doing "power sense" hence it is ON but not fully ON?

I heard of Outlet SWITCHES having that feature. Is this feature active in Outlet DIMMERs as well.

If that is the case how do I tell it to cut power off completely?

Power sense feature shouldn't have anything to do with the physical action of turning light on or off. Off should be off.

Power sense feature in an outlet switch is used to give the system a way to know if let's say a tv without discrete power on/off ir codes is actually on or off by detecting power draw at the outlet switch. You calibrate the level of current draw when the tv is off and only drawing stand by power, and then when it is on and drawing full power. It then monitors the current draw and reports the same to the system as an on or off state.

Power sense feature shouldn't have anything to do with the physical action of turning light on or off. Off should be off.

Power sense feature in an outlet switch is used to give the system a way to know if let's say a tv without discrete power on/off ir codes is actually on or off by detecting power draw at the outlet switch. You calibrate the level of current draw when the tv is off and only drawing stand by power, and then when it is on and drawing full power. It then monitors the current draw and reports the same to the system as an on or off state.

For power sense to work that has to be a completed circuit through the device you are trying to monitor. Example: a TV usually still draws some power when it is off, but draws more power when it is on. This is how the switch senses if the device is on or off. I don't think that the switch can do power sense and also control the device.

If you have the switch hooked up to a the light bulb and had power sense configured the bulb would have to draw some power and could account for the bulb being on.

Good to know. Perhaps I was quick to blame the LEDs.

I really think it is the kind of bulb that I was using. It was those that have a smaller screw on base but comes with an adapter larger base screw on. It might not be the fact that is LED maybe it is the adapter that was doing that.

Either way, I replaced the bulb with the regular incandesent and fixed the issue. On that note my cfl lamps are also working fine

Archived