C4 Forums | Control4

Operate 6 button KP on Low Voltage!

We have successfully been able to operate a 6 button KP as low as 24 VAC over CAT5E. The turn on point is ~ 20 VAC. All you need is a low voltage transformer that can supply 24 VAC at the KP location when connected. Current needed is ~500ma or higher. Range has not been fully tested and not sure if affected at all. Maybe Control4 can expound on this idea as we have many, many projects with CAT5E at the KP location and not an easy way to get 110 VAC to it. You love it!

Yes, but depends on wire length to get 24 VAC to the KP when connected. Twisting wires together will ensure 24 VAC going in will come out 24 VAC in most cases. But hey just put more VAC at the headend and your back in business. YLI

I'm not speaking for Control4, but I suspect C4 will not officially comment on this, as the keypads are rated for UL ratings for the specified voltage range, and not outside that range.

I would also definitely ensure that your wire is sized properly to support any amperage drawn by the keypads.

RyanE

PS... OK, I called this one wrong. C4 did comment on this post on the official dealer forums.

This configuration is not tested and not supported.

The keypad internal power supply was designed to provide stable working DC voltages above 28VAC or 30VDC up to ~120VAC on its input. Running the keypads from a 24VAC supply is on the edge of the keypad power supply voltage range and is not recommeded. It is estimated that the 6 button keypads typcially draw about 70ma at 28-30V.

• 2 years later...

Archived