C4 Forums | Control4

Can Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD be controlled by HTC via SR IN connector?

Greetings,

I just installed a Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD plasma display and have it connected to the Control4 Home Theater Controller's IR output #5 via an IR emitter. It works well but I since the IR emitter has to be installed on the display planel itself, it doesn't look as clean as I would like it. However, I noticed that the external media box for the Pioneer display (PRO-R06U) has a SR input port. Can I connect a mono mini-plug from the Control4 Home Theater Controller to the back of the Pioneer external media box's SR input port? If so, what kind of cable should I use for this (mono or stereo)? Which IR out port should I use on the Control4 Home Theater Controller (1-6)? Which driver should I use for this (IR or RS232)?

Marc

try it. connect a 1/8" mono plug to 1/8" mono plug between the two - use any IR out port. most of the time it works in one of the the following ways:

set the driver to direct connect, if that doesn't work, set it to regular IR control

if that doesn't work, reverse the 1/8" mono plug at one end (swap the wires for hot and cold) and try again

I tried to use the IR jack on my Pio 5050hd but was not able to establish communication. I used a mini-jack with a direct connect driver but it didn't work. I just went to RS and bought a serial cable. I posted the serial driver on this site. Serial works perfect and allows for more control options.

Hi AS2,

I disconnected the IR emitter from my Home Theater Controller's IR output #5 and replaced it with a 1/8" mono plug that I got from Radio Shack. I proceeded to plug the other end of the mono plug into the SR input of the Pioneer PRO-R06U media receiver for my Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD display. Using the current IR driver that worked for the IR emitter, it looks like it is NOT working properly.

I'm in the process of editing the PRO-1130HD driver to use "direct connect" but I ran into a snag. After I edited the driver via the Driver Wizard, Composer mentions "Devices in the system that use this driver must be removed and then re-added for the changes to take effect. However, if I do this, I'll lose all of my "Connected To" information for the PRO-1130HD within the "Control & Audio Video Connections" tab. Please let me know if this is correct and that I would have to re-run Interview all over again. I don't mind re-running it but it seems like there is a better way to do this. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

Marc

Hi stash,

You mentioned that you used an off the shelf Serial Cable from Radio Shack to connect your Pioneer PDP-5050HD display. I downloaded the manual for your display from Pioneer's website to see what does the back of you external media receiver (PDP-AR05U/PDP-R05U) look like. I noticed that both of our external media receivers have a RS-232C terminal labelled "Service Only". I was under the assumption that this was only used for ISF CCC calibration. Is there anything special that I would need to do to enable the RS-232C connector for access on the Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD? (i.e. special key sequence on the remote). What about wiring it to the Control4 Home Theater Controller? The Control4 Home Theater Controller only has one RS-232 pluggable terminal block connect which is 2-wire serial interface. The Control4 manual mentions that it does not support hardware flow control. Will this be a problem?

Marc, use the "service only" serial port. You need to turn on RS-232 control and set the baud rate. I don't remember the exact steps but it involved a sequence of key presses on the remote to get to the serial setup screen. I would be the serial driver I created for my 5050HD would work for your elite set.

BTW, you have to re-do all your connections when you edit drivers and re-add. Major flaw if you ask me. Write down all your connections before you do this. It also impacts other events tied to the equipment if I remember correctly. There is currently no printable report that will show you all your system connection and programming.

I suggest serial control. I try to find the codes to enable rs-232.

While the TV is off, push the "MENU" key then power. This will cause the integrator's menu to come up and you use the left & right arrows to set the baud rate.

I used Stash's driver today for a 4340 model and had some issues with it (it may work fine for the **50 series, haven't tried it yet). I have modified it for the **40 series models and will attach it here and upload it as the driver for the 4340/5040/etc. models into the file library.

You may want to try this driver, Stash's driver, and also there is a 1410HD serial driver in the database in Composer. All of these may work.

The 1410 requires a null modem cable, FYI. That may apply to your model also. The rest of the models in the product line are straight through.

Remember that some of the Pioneer models are actually NEC as they combine the two companies plasma manufacturing. For example, the 424MV ED plasma from Pioneer actually uses NEC commands (IR and serial). I thought that some of the Elite models were NEC actually too (the largest size I think?? ).

The easiest way to do it is to get a RS232 to RJ45 adapter, use the pins that line up with green/white and green (1 & 2) as Tx and Rx and use brown as ground. With the radio shack cable, you would have to cut it, then figure out which wires go to which pin with a multimeter or similar.

Maybe someone here has already cut one of the RadioShack cables and knows the color scheme?

DISPLAY CONFIGURATION

The RS-232 connection to the display is labeled the “Service” connection. Before using the serial port,

you must configure its settings using the remote control and the on-screen menu.

1. Turn the display off.

2. Press and release the Home Menu button on the remote, then without delay, press and release the

Power button on the remote. This turns on the screen and shows the Integrator Menu.

3. At the bottom of the screen you will see the current RS-232 settings. Press the Left and Right

buttons until the display shows UART Select <=>9600-232C.

4. Press the Home Menu button: this saves your settings and removes the menu from the screen.

5. Press the Power button to turn off the display.

Did you ever get this to work via serial or did you try anything on the SR port? You may want to contact Xantech and see if maybe the 794 and 797 series interface modules would work with this application if you're set on using the SR port on the media receiver of the Pioneer. I've used them for Marantz equipment but never for Pioneer.

• 6 months later...

Archived