C4 Forums | Control4

Issues after 1.7.4.36 upgrade

A couple of questions to the group...I did a 1.6.x to 1.7.4.36 firmware upgrade(media controller and 3 mini touch screens)...Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but when checking my system I noticed 1 dimmer controlling my outside porch lights stopped working...Press it on, lights come on briefly(1 second) as dimmer leds(normally blue) flash red then clear, then back to blue...This dimmer switch is the only one on my network controlled by a scheduler program(ie on at sunset...off at midnight)...It no longer comes on as scheduled nor does it work manually needless to say.

questions

1) Is my dimmer switch bad or did the upgrade do something to the control functionality?...guess I could swap with another dimmer switch

2). I have composer 1.6.0...does this mean I now need 1.7.x

3). I've seen mention of 1.8 and 2.0 releases, but my system shows no updates available so I'm guessing my older components won't support future upgrades?

I'm hoping the response isn't to contact my dealer/installer as I had a bad experience(sold me promises of intercom and IP cam features that weren't released 4 yrs ago) and I haven't found another good one in this area...I live in Boise ID and the installer took several weeks to put in a relatively simple solution...He didn't do a thing without being on the phone with tech support...I'm a systems/network engineer and I was able to figure out programming quicker than him.

Red white and blue leds can mean a dead dimmer.

You should always use the same version of composer that your system is on. Using the older version software is a great way to corrupt your project file.

You don't see them because you don't have the appropriate versions of composer. Those updates aren't something that can be done on a whim or without a license key from a dealer in the case of 2.0

Im sorry that you had a bad experience with your dealer. Not all dealers are like that. Unfortunately Control4 is not DIY at this time. If you do not find a dealer or wish to use a dealer then I suggest lokking into fully DIY capable systems such as CQC or Cinemar's main lobby.

thx codeman....So if I understand correctly...Since my composer 1.6 saw the 1.7.x update I should be ok from a compatibility standpoint for now?...I'll swap dimmers and see if the problem follows.

No worries about that bad experience(just looking forward now)...Guys Like Ryan from control4 were great in helping me get through the initial pain and I love the product....Are there any dealers how would do remote support/programming without being local?...If not, maybe someone from c4 can recommend another local dealer...Afterall, it's been almost 4yrs since my install ;)

@Brent

Y...It has been a while since I needed dealer help..When I last checked there were only 2 dealers(1 being my old dealer)...Probably not completely his fault, but at the time the other dealer wanted to charge me $150 just to evaluate the issues with my install...I wasn't in a mood to spend more and thought $150 was a bit much to start with...Ryan from c4 created an IP cam driver for me and c4 support was able to fix my issues in less than 30 min's.

Good to know there are 4 dealers and my orignal dealer isn't one of them anymore(hmmm, maybe that says something :D ).

Thanks everyone....Enjoy some turkey and family time...We probably shouldn't be on this forum today, but I guess we are just geeks at heart!!

Archived