C4 Forums | Control4

Got my Quote Back.

I got a local dealer to quote my new construction house - distributed audio, video and a few TV's, etc. - it came in at $43,000:

Distributed Audio:

Master Bedroom, Master Bathroom, Kitchen, Outside Deck, Office, Shared Dinning/Living and 5.1 in the Family Room - saved one of the 8 zones for future gameroom in the basement. Will have 4 color touchscreen controlers for the areas that don't have distributed video (can run the audio controls with the remote off the TV's).

Distributed Video:

Kitchen, Master Bedroom and Family Room.

Wiring:

They will run phone, ethernet, speaker, HD Video to numerous parts of the house - all 4 bedrooms upstairs, family, office (2) & kitchen.

Security System:

$3,300 for a pretty detailed system - broken glass, motion detection, etc.

TV's:

32" in Master Bedroom, 46" Family Room and somewhere aroun 20" for Kitchen.

I don't have the quote in hand because I had them remove distributed video in the master bath behind a two-way mirror - a little overkill and wanted to lower the price some. This includes all the stuff needed to distribute the video (control4 stuff), music server, stereo receiver, etc.. and of course speakers - will get the revised quote next week.

Seemed High, what do you guys think?

It actually sounds in line with alot of the proposals we give out. Is there any lighting control in the design? If there is not I would highly recommend you go for the extra amount, it really makes a huge difference.

Where are you located?

Dan

No - the security and HVAC are integrated, but the lighting is not. I am in Salt Lake City. I am sure a little lighting could be added. I have a second qoute going now (a third too with Control4 stuff), the second person knows a little history with the Control4 founder and is offended by even talking to him because he has a shaddy history in the area? Not sure, but he felt strongly with quoting anything besides Control4 equipment? Kinda made me a little worried. I want a good system that is dependable - his problem was the bugs in the Control4 software? Again, the distributor did not recommend the 10 + screem remote because of the bugs, so again this worries me a little?

A little insight would be appreciated (don't kill me on the spelling 2night because this is my 6th vodka/redbull and a $2,800 bill at the local ski shop 2day - good discounts on old stuff (2005) before the ski season!!!!!!!!!!!).

A couple questions, anyone running a few Sonny 400 disc dvd's at the same time? And - how about the 80 gb sound server - seems a little small? Also, have 4 standalone TIVO's at the house now, anyone dealing with this as well? I know the series 3 is being discussed, but nothing definative yet? I would love Direct TV TIVO, but they do not have a ethernet trasfer available yet?

You can definitely run a few Sony 400 disc changers at the same time, there are some things to watch out for (ie if you try to access a different disc in the same machine on a different screen it will stop the one movie from playing and start the other one). You can separate the discs depending on how your family would use them.

As far as sound server goes it's a very standard MP3 server. 1.3 really enhances the digital audio distribution so it works quite nicely.

As far as TiVos go, what kind of information are you looking for?

We have done many C4 installations and I'm not sure what bugs you are referring to. A year ago when the product started to roll out there were some bugs, but to date every single system we have out there works amazingly well and there are definitely no bugs that are "show stoppers". There are a few enhancements that would be great but with 1.3 (which should be released within the next couple of weeks) the product really earns it's wings.

Dan

Archived