C4 Forums | Control4

New construction install - advise greatly appreciated

brettb

You may be able to keep all the controllers in the rack, it depends on how many active zigbee devices you have and what your zigbee coverage is like.

You can plan on whatever you like, but using the iPad exclusively for control isn't something you're going to like. I'd plan on an SR-250 for every room with a TV, and one on every other room if the budget allows it.

IMO the iPad isn't good for much more than showing off.

I'm building a wood framed house right around 5000 sqft, so it's not a $3million dollar home, so no offense taken.

The reason for the wiring really came down to how the builder was bundling things.... Each room was getting 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5e included for free (with no credit for deleting them).... and then when dealing with Cat6, they only sell them as a bundle of 5. So I agree it's probably overkill, but I don't end up with much of a choice for a middle ground.

I'm also running conduit to a couple of the locations, but from a cost point of view (since my builder won't let me work on it myself), I've chossen a few specific spots for that.

A couple of follow up questions...

Tieing in the garage door openers was mentioned.... what wiring would I need to have run for that, and what is the benefit?

Tieing in the security system... my security control panel will be right next the the main equipment rack so that should be easy... but again, what wiring is needed for that, and what is the benefit?

Equipment wise, it sounds like I should be looking for....

Video matrix - 8x8

Control 4 audio amp with 8 zones

At least a couple of HC's.... is it ok to just keep these in the rack? Part of the reason for distributed video is that I don't really want boxes all over the house. I'm planning on using iPads for most of my control rather than the control 4 remotes, so does that change how many or where they need to be located? Also, is it a mistake to plan on relying heavily on the iPads?

Some degree of overkill is an excellent idea.

Don't forget the potential phone, keypad, camera, speaker, motion sensor, door contact, automated blind, etc locations. Figure out what you need now and what you think you might need then add at least 1 cat 5/6 and a coax per location. While there are wireless solutions for most things, I always go for wired when I can for reliability...my current annoyance it when iTunes over the wireless network stops working whenever the microwave is on!

I wish I had ran wire for blinds. I have some windows that I would REALLY like automated shades on, but I have no power there and I can't find a battery operated solution (much less, changing batteries on these windows would be a chore).

RUN CONDUIT.

Archived