C4 Forums | Control4

Sony Video Switch Issues with HD drop outs

I am using a Sony CAV-CVs12 component video switch but having an on-going problem with my TVs losing the signal temporarily with HD signals. Wierd part is muy picture looks great then all the sudden will get a "no signal" or "lost signal" blank/blue screen - then a few seconds to sometimes 20 seconds picture comes back. Odd thing is that 1 of my 4 TV locations sems to work fine. But the other 3 all do it constantly - some rooms more frequent than others. I've tried multiple devices at end points as well as swapping out the Sony component connectors at the TV end but with no success. I've also reterminated ends without benefit. I've been fiddling with this for close to 2 years and 'm about to give up. Another wierd symptom is that I can almost predict certain times when I will know it will happen - like if i'm watching local news channel and they start doing the weather - when graphics pop up in the picture I'm almost always without video. Also, for some reason commercials always get worse - trying to see if certain graphic styles or even colors (or dominance of a certain color in the picture) may also be contributing.

I will probably next terminate a long standalone cat5 and run it temporarily to my locations and test each port as well just to see.

Any comments, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Brent Nashville

• 3 months later...

Hey there,

I was actually googling specs for the sony switch and saw this post unanswered thought I would reply at least. What TVs are you using?? We had this issue once on a site where the video would flicker. Cat5e runs were between 50-100ft. Called sony to see what the deal was. Only thing they could say was to try new baluns and that there were some known issues with samsung TVs cutting out the picture. So do you happen to have all samsung TVs?

Missed this when it was posted. Have the same switch, and had same problem. 100% of the time on Discovery Channel, coming back from commercial, screen would blur and act odd for 20 seconds. Had this issue on one Samsung TV but not other.

Ran new Cat6, re-terminated.... RMA'd the switch to Sony, etc. Finally talked to someone at Muxlab that had some knowledge. They asked how long the problem run was, and I told him 50 feet or so.... he told me to insert more cable into the run, so against conventional wisdom, I got a coupler, and added 50 more feet to the run.....

Problem was gone.

Give this a shot, and let us know.

Scott

Yes forgot to mention that part, Sony tech says that the runs to each TV should be 100ft. Now that being said we have done many installations where we have had less then 100ft and everything work fine. But it is recommended to keep the runs at 100ft.

Archived