C4 Forums | Control4

ComposerHE "encountered an error"

EagleMoon

Not really a programming question, I'm trying to install my ComposerHE on a new computer (virtual machine actually) because the laptop I put it on originally is going back to my employer in a couple weeks.

I've run it for the last year in a Parallels VM on that laptop. Recently I did a conversion of that VM to VirtualBox and everything else about the converted VM works fine. But when I try to start ComposerHE, I get the Windows wonderful "encountered and error and needs to close". I've uninstalled it, removed every trace I could find in the registry and in the file system, then re-installed it. It doesn't ask to for my license key or to register during the install and it crashes before bringing up any kind of GUI.

Is this a licensing thing? Does it "call home" to verify it's running from a licensed computer? If so, how do I get it moved to a new computer. The dealer ordered the software for me but he didn't do anything at all to get it running, so "call my dealer" isn't likely to help.

If not licensing, is there a log (Windows or Control4) that might give me a hint about what's wrong? I REALLY don't want to buy a copy of Parallels; it sucks (periodically)

Not even a comment?

No one ever had this problem? No one has even a Windows tip for how to diagnose it?

Plenty of other applications worked just find after the conversion and ComposerHE should not require any specific hardware, just a network interface so it's a mystery.

I just want to rule some kind of licensing issue, but I'm pretty sure my dealer told me last year that I could re-install it on other computers. Am I confused?

If you are getting the "encountered error" message that would be thrown by windows before the app even gets fully started. I would think that there is a dependency for ComposerHE that is not installed or corrupt. I would not think it is a licensing issue since ComposerHE really hasn’t even started yet.

Hmmm. Thanks, I kinda thought that. I wish I could find a log that told me something....but then this is Windows. Meaningful diagnostic messages have never been its strong suit.

The conversion from Parallels to VirtualBox (VMware virtual disk format) involves some changes to ACPI and the HAL. I can't imagine why ComposerHE would depend on specifics of either of those.

Maybe I need to install Windows into a VM from scratch and try that. VirtualBox has some information on how you end up with a more efficient HAL version when you do that.

Problem sort of solved. ComposerHE activation simply won't work under VirtualBox. The exact same virtual disk (with Windows installed) works under VMware. Remember, I created it from Parallels using VMware Converter. VirtualBox can read VMware format virtual disks, so I had left it as that format and, of course, I could still open it under VMware.

I went so far as to create a brand-new VM and installed Windows from scratch under VirtualBox. Same problem occurred but at least this time I got the "do you want to send this report" messages. It was pretty clear from some of the cryptic info in that report that the problem had to do with activation. I tried installing from my original 1.6.0 CD, and also from the 1.8.0 and I think even the 1.8.2 downloaded images. None would work.

I did finally find one other thread here and one on VirtualBox forums about it, but never a solution.

It's pretty strange to me that the activation portion of ComposerHE is sensitive to something VirtualBox is doing -- I would think that's pretty generic code. I tried a number of system and network settings to no avail.

I guess I'm happy. The new VMware 3.1.2 seems even more efficient than Parallels -- low CPU usage when idle, maybe lower overall. And only $19.95 as upgrade from Parallels or older VMware. Such a deal! Now got to find my VMware Version 1 CD.

Archived