C4 Forums | Control4

Signing Contract and want to play with a couple pieces of equipement.

panamagixxer

I have posted a few times on the board and appreciate the quick/intelligent responses. I have made the decision to go with a Control4 System. Nothing extreme - distributed audio, distributed video and a theater room. I won't really need to worry about it now because the house is about 5 months away, but I would like to begin working on my music collection and play with my Sony 777. My question is, how much trouble for the installer would it be to go ahead and let me have the controllers to set-up my music and play DVD's in my rental while I await the house to be finished? I guess, how much programming (sounds like generic functions to me) would be involved?

Not sure if this made any sense (sadly, it made perfect sense to me).

Depends on how much you're getting... if you get a Media Controller and a remote for one room - and the TV's, Stereo's etc... will all be the same when you move into the house - then it's no biggie. If you change all the equipment out and go with different TV's etc... then it's a complete re-program. As an installer, I don't mind either way, as I bill by the hour - so it's up to you to decide what you want to spend.

Here's my data point. For my "wave 1" system, I did 5 rooms audio, two of these had video, two thermostats. This setup included a 777, a MC, a HTC, a tuner, an multi channel amp, a 10.5" screen, plus various remotes and ethernet LCD touchscreens. It also included speakers, outdoor wiring, some home network setup, an AV receiver, home theater speakers, battery backup, racks, etc. Everything was through prewired ethernet except the wifi 10.5" screen. When all was said & done I spent about $23K on materials and about $8K-$9K on installation. Money well spent - I like my system a lot. I will likely go back for a second helping within the year and spend another 10K-20K to add another 777, add a few more rooms, put in lighting, connect to my alarm system, and perhaps do a few more things.

I hear you, my set-up:

Company is installing alarm system and phone system.

Running the Cat 5 throughout the house for network and Control4.

Running the video lines as well.

I will have a 5.1 system in the family room upstairs.

I will have distributed audio in 7 rooms (saving one for the unfinished basement game room).

I will have 3 rooms (family, master bedroom and kitchen) with distributed HD video running a 777. Still thinking about options for the deck.

I will be buying a 46, 30+ and 20+ LCD's for the three rooms with distributed audio (maybe another 30+ for the deck?)

Still thinking about putting a TV in master bathroom behind a two-way mirror (just a cool idea).

So my tab is pretty high - $40,000.

I still have a 5.1 in the basement when it is finished and a theatre room under a floating 3 car garage to be done as well.

Can't F'in wait!

Is it possible to purchase the Media Controller by itself and integrate it wil my current equipment?:

Sony TV – KP-57HW40

Sony Receiver STR-DE995

Cable Box (non HD) – Explorer 1850

Cable Box HD – 3250HD

XBOX 360

XBOX

Bose Speakers

I only want to do this to play/set-up my music files. I won't have my full system until around May. Do I need additional Control4 stuff to do this or can the Media Controller (80gb) be integrated?

My dealer told me he thought the Home Theater Controller would be needed as well, but had me e-mail my system stuff (see above) to one of his engineers/installers.

Thanks

No the Media Controller "IS" a controller - so it'll control all of that. HTC's I'd put on additional TV's in the house - but ONE MC is really all you need (or one HTC if you don't want a MC).

Archived