C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV / EV driver setup

C4Newbie

I was told I need a static IP address on the apple TV to get it working w Control4 / EV driver? Any additional info on how to do this? I just want to tell my non-C4 AV guys while they are connecting it. MY C4 guy is currently out of pocket but he will be setting up the EV driver later.

Thanks

Apple TV can be wireless or ethernet. Either way it has nothing to do with your installers, it will all be taken care of on the back end.

Before your programmer comes, call your ISP and get a static IP package, cause yes it does require that constant IP communication.

call your ISP and get a static IP package, cause yes it does require that constant IP communication.

Whoa, there!

Don't confuse having static IP on your Internet connection from your ISP with having static IPs assigned to devices inside your network. In virtually 100% of home networks those two things have nothing to do with each other because your Internet connection goes through a NAT device and the internal addresses are completely separate from your ISP-provided address.

I don't know if the EV driver requires the Apple TV to have a static address but that almost certainly has nothing to do with the addresses assigned by your ISP.

^bingo. You don't have to have a static wan address. You need your apple tv to have a static ip address. If you're A/V guys are network guys too then they should be able to handle it. I haven't set one on the apple tv, but its in the menu interface somewhere. All the customers I have added the EV driver for where able to set it up to static themselves. The EV keeps track of the apple tv via it's ip address, so if it's not on static then eventually it might change. When this happens the EV driver will lose control until you do one of two things. Change the address back to what it was, but be careful something else may have this address now. Or go into the driver and tell EV driver what the new address is.

So change it to static and you won't have to worry about any of that.

Just set up a DHCP reservation on your firewall / router. Much easier and you can still have DHCP served to the Apple TV.

No need to manually put in an IP on an AppleTV, and its a pain to do, unless you have the iphone/ ipod touch Apple Remote app, then you can use the keyboard.

I highly recommend doing DHCP reservations for key devices, just keep in mind if you replace the device, you will need to update the reservation or if you replace the router, you will want to keep track of MAC address to ip assignments.

Archived