C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat wiring

no purpose.

Are you running a common wire. In a heat only system power stealing will not work.

It will work based on my experience, but run your battery flat in a few days... ( I only say this because my installer thought he had the units powered correctly and left the job. Then did not want to come back when the batteries went flat, choosing to believe 4 units failed rather than he made a wiring mistake)

Also I can confirm I do not have the jumper on heating only system, despite the instructions showing this .

no purpose.

Are you running a common wire. In a heat only system power stealing will not work.

It will work based on my experience' date=' but run your battery flat in a few days... ( I only say this because my installer thought he had the units powered correctly and left the job. Then did not want to come back when the batteries went flat, choosing to believe 4 units failed rather than he made a wiring mistake)

Also I can confirm I do not have the jumper on heating only system, despite the instructions showing this .[/quote']

I did not say that the t-stat would no work. I said power stealing would not work in a heat (or cool only) system.

The design of power stealing relies on utilizing the ability to trickle current over the unused electrical path of the heat (W) and cool (Y) circuits. When the system is calling for heat, current is stolen from the Y path and when the system calls for cool the system steals current from the W path.

In a heat only system there is no path for current over the Y path (since it does not exist) so the system can't steal power and must run on battery. In a cool only system there is no W path so the system can't steal power and must run on battery.

You are correct that the t-stat will function and run on battery in a heat or cool only setup. But that is not a very viable solution since the battery will be depleted in a short time.

Archived