C4 Forums | Control4

Video automation and control

bog

I'm slowly understanding what Control4 can do for audio distribution and control.

It seems the speaker points, the multi channel amp or the audio matrix switch is what's used to distribute audio to different rooms. Although any audio equipment can be used with the above the Control4 tuner, media controller and home theater controller provide additional control over the source equipment (such as volume, change station, ff/rew/pause, etc) with a touch panel or Control4 remote?

What can Control4 actually do with video? Are there any third party products? Or are my only options to wire a cable TV outlet in other rooms and use the TV's tuner to control video?

What can other home automation and control products actually do with video?

The approach Control4 has taken with audio and video are completely different. It does distribute audio but it doesn't distribute video, and they don't have any immediate plans or products that will distribute video.

That being said, it will control a wide array of video equipment. Almost anything that has an IR remote can be controlled using Control4 equipment.

I have my system set up controlling my Sony TV, DVD changer and home theater receiver, as well as my TiVo box, (as well as thermostats, motion detectors and lights.) They are all controllable via the hand-held remote or any of the touch screens I have in my home. They are also controllable through the video interface from the Control4 controller. When we watch a movie, Control4 turns on the TV, changes to the DVD input, turns on the DVD changer and selects the movie and starts it, and it turns on the receiver changing the input to the DVD selection. It does the same with the TiVo with power, input selection and such.

Read the information on their web site and feel free to ask questions here - lots of people are ready and able to help.

Good luck!

Archived