C4 Forums | Control4

Typical.....new construction.... Need help

rf5000

Hello all,

I am generally real good at figuring things out on my own. I have installed whole home audio systems and security systems. Trying to jump into the realm of home automation. Now, I know many of u will respond right away with my best solution being to contact a dealer, but i want to do this myself. So here we go. Here Is what I want to do:

-control some interior and exterior lighting

-control my hvac system

-video surveillance

-Whole home audio

-theater room video distribution

First off, can someone explain the following topics to me:

-zigabee

-Control4 controllers (hc200, hc300, etc) on what they actually do. The reason I ask is because many users talk about running several controllers, some running one thing, some running another.

Now, if someone could take the time to tell me what hardware I need to accomplish the above things I would appreciate it. Also what wiring i will need to run to each location. For example, do I run normal wires to the thermostat since it will communicate wirelessly? Are touch panels wired directly to the controller? Are the controllers located in a central location where all the central wires are ran? How is low voltage landscape lighting connected to the system? If I want to distribute vide onto theater room, do I use a video switch and run component directly to projector? What is recommended to store all music, album covers, DVD movies, to distribute?

I apologize for all these questions but if someone could give a complete detailed response I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Zigbee is a wireless networking standard. Google the zigbee alliance. Control 4 uses zigbee to talk to and control light switches, keypads, remotes (instead of IR) and other devices like contacts, relays and thermostats. This has the advantage you do not need separate control wires to all the devices you want to control.

Control 4 controllers run a number of functions you need to do some serious reading to pick this up , but including the directors, zigbee servers, zigbee access points, audio media player. They have outputs for controlling other devices via IR, rs232, also have relays and contacts for triggering or detecting events in other hardware. (eg garage door)

You can start with one controller like a HC300 (but a HC1000 which is more powerful cannot do everything)

If you are going to learn and teach yourself get a HC -300 or HC 200 - review the specs and make you own mind up.

Composer is the software you run on your PC to program the controller. (it comes in a few flavours. (dealer only Pro - to add new devices, HE - can do some programming and ME - for media mgt.)

After version 1.8.2 of composer Pro it is locked and even if you can get it - it will not work for you. Which means you will need a dealer anyway.

-control some interior and exterior lighting - see control 4 website for the light switches. Replace the existing switches with control 4 switches or dimmer

-control my hvac system - Control 4 thermostats - needs a bit of investigation to make sure they will work for you

-video surveillance - there are drivers for certain model cams

-Whole home audio - see the matrix amps on the control 4 website or the speaker points

-theater room video distribution - there are many matrix video switches with C4 drivers. THere are a tone of forum discussions to search and read about. - monoprice 4x4 HDMI is an entry solution at about $200 up to tens of thousands of $'s. Also need to select how you will play your media.... also a lot of options like XBMC, DUNE, Kaleidescape , Sony DVD stacker's etc...

Are you building a new house and need to know everything yesterday.... ? if not take your time if you want to do it all yourself. Start with a controller, SR250 remote and one light switch or dimmer. With this you can get an existing DVD and TV working along with a light. Then build from there is my advice.

Don't underestimate the effort, even though control 4 is probably easier than most systems I looked into or use in the workplace.

Thanks for replying.

Okay, so video distribution basically means playing video on tvs throughout the house from video server, bluray changer, etc.? So say I'm sitting in front of tv that has video distribution, would I simply have to switch the video source on the tv and then the DVD titles would be displayed on my tv? How would I move through them and select? What remote would handle this?

Also, if hardwiring touchscreens, those are run to a data switch? Which item that control4 sells Is the data switch?

For things like having the fireplace connected to the system, would I just hook the fireplace to a switch? What about unlocking the front door remotely, just buy one of their door locks and register it with the system? Also are contacts for garage doors wireless? I don't see things like this on control4 website.

Lastly, are there other wireless switches other then the control4 brand that work just as good and a register with the system the same way?

Thanks for replying.

Okay, so video distribution basically means playing video on tvs throughout the house from video server, bluray changer, etc.? So say I'm sitting in front of tv that has video distribution, would I simply have to switch the video source on the tv and then the DVD titles would be displayed on my tv? How would I move through them and select? What remote would handle this?

Control4 provides an on screen menu that you would use to select the video source of your choice. The HC-300 comes with a SR-250. You would use the SR250 to choose the sourcw and to control it.

Also, if hardwiring touchscreens, those are run to a data switch? Which item that control4 sells Is the data switch? Yes run an ethernet line from the touchscreen location to the network Switch. Control4 does not sell network switches. I would recommend using Pakedge switches for your system.

For things like having the fireplace connected to the system, would I just hook the fireplace to a switch? What about unlocking the front door remotely, just buy one of their door locks and register it with the system? Also are contacts for garage doors wireless? I don't see things like this on control4 website.

For the fireplace there is a fireplace switch. You need to use the control4 doorlocks to be able to use control4 to lock and unlock the doors. There are contacts on the HC-300, as well as on the IOextender, you can also use a third party called card access to control the garage door.

Lastly, are there other wireless switches other then the control4 brand that work just as good and a register with the system the same way?

You can intergrate lutron or vantage into control4, however they do dont comunicate zia zigbee, and will not help the mesh network.

Card access http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/ . YouTube has some great card access demos of their stuff also.

Run some figure8 cable to the garage opener and seperately to the door if you want to hardwire back to the closet to an ioextender or integrated security system.

I've hard wired what I could( even though I have not implemented everything yet) then I have options in the future.

single pair (two wires) - has the profile of an 8, assume thats why they call it figure 8 cable.

Do you call it something else in US?

Typically we call it 2 conductor wire and perhaps reference the gauge. For example I would say run 16/2 (16 gauge 2 conductor) wire to the opener and to the sensor for the door.

I had the inclination this morning to look further. Figure 8 cable has that profile because it has an extra cable to support its weight in overhead applications.

http://www.world-trades.com/photo/490/4981/figure-8-cable-145.jpg

nup.. thats not figure 8, but interesting ...

henniae is on the money... its just boring simple lightweight 2 conductor wire ... Sorry to confuse ... did not realise this is not a global name..

Archived