C4 Forums | Control4

Issue with hardware showing "Unknown" when using Update Manager.

TonyS.

This is the second time I came across this issue within Update Manager where a peace of equipment shows "Unknown", and just hangs there. Unable to move any further in the install process.

The first was a speaker point, and now a HTC (avm-htc1-B). I just got a sr250 remote and the first of two HTC (avm-htc1-B) updated before, with out a problem. Now I'm stuck trying to get the second one to update. I even tried to remove it from the project and reidentified it in composer again, but it still didn't show what the Current Version it's running was. With the first one, as soon as I opened up Updated Manager it was showing it was running 1.3.2. and took the update to 1.8.2 just fine.

I called a local C4 dealer and was told $75 just to take a look at the speaker point to see if it could be upgrade or not. Same price if I took it to them, or they came to my house. I just hate to pay that price if it only takes 10 second to get it working.

Any ideals on what I can do, steps wise. To get the HTC or the speaker point to show what Current Version it's running, so I can updated it?

I've tried powering it down for a couple minutes. Also tried holding the button down until the Power and Link light goes out and release. Also hold until Power, Link, and Data comes on then let go.

I know I just can't be the only person that has seen this before.

If there anything I could try, Please let me know.

Tony.

I called a local C4 dealer and was told $75 just to take a look at the speaker point to see if it could be upgrade or not.

That's seems absurd. Did they offer any explanation for why they needed $75 for that? Personally, I think that was simply their way of saying they didn't want to help you.

Would a dealer here be willing to explain what steps are necessary to determine if a speaker point can be upgraded?

I called a local C4 dealer and was told $75 just to take a look at the speaker point to see if it could be upgrade or not.

That's seems absurd. Did they offer any explanation for why they needed $75 for that? Personally' date=' I think that was simply their way of saying they didn't want to help you.

Would a dealer here be willing to explain what steps are necessary to determine if a speaker point can be upgraded?[/quote']

The speaker point can be upgraded. This assumes it is a functional speaker point.

The best thing to do here is run a USB restore to the version your current system is running.

In regards to the $75 dollars. Many businesses have a minimum service charge.

In regards to the $75 dollars. Many businesses have a minimum service charge.

That part I understand ... for actually doing work. But for telling him whether or not the work can be done? Is there something significant to that, other than looking at model number or serial number? He wasn't asking for some kind of custom work, just a simple question about the capability of a piece of standard equipment.

Car dealers often have a diagnostic fee -- that they'll credit towards service, BTW. But they usually actually have to do some significant work to run the diagnostics, so it's understandable. It's hard to imagine how this is in the same league. That's why I asked what was actually involved

Archived