C4 Forums | Control4

HTC/777 connection issue....

I have spent many hours trying to get the HTC to connect to a new Sony 777 in my media room. I didn't have any issues with my family room MC/777 setup. I have used a 9v battery and multi-meter to determine which pins on the db9 are which and have installed them into the corresponding ports of the HTC for r232 control. However, I am not able to get any control of the Sony changer. I have tried switching pins 2 and 3 to ensure the rx-tx connection is correct.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

Whether it's a straight-through or null-modem cable is pretty irrelevant on HTC, since you're wiring it to a connection block...

:)

That said, I've never had a problem hooking up ground (pin 5) to the HTC, hook the other two up to TX/RX, and swapping them if it didn't work. Are you sure your serial connection in Composer is right? (HTC->Serial Port 1 ===> Sony 777 Serial Port)?

RyanE

I agree this should be straight forward....

I have confirmed in Composer that the bindings are correct. (it actually reads Theater Disc Changer -> Serial RS-232). I have been troubleshooting by double clicking the device under connections and using the popup interface to power cycle the unit. It does not respond.

I may take it to another working 777 changer to determine if either the HTC or 777 serial port is bad. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Ryan... I didn't do anything except swap out the Media Controller for the HTC and it started working on the family room setup. However, a short while later after putting the MC in the media room it too is working fine.

I turned on the HTC Zigbee server as I don't have too many zigbee devices (just the MC, 10.5" and HTC) at this point. Do I need the Zigbee server on the HTC?

What are some issues of having zservers running on two controllers? I just disabled the zserver on my MC as that is my Director. I have had slow responses from my remote control and I was curious if that was possibly due to have Zserver running on both controllers.

THanks.

What can happen if both are running on the same channel is that each tries to 'own' zigbee nodes, and nodes could switch from one to the other, and actually be 'offline' as far as the controller is concerned.

Very strange things, from nothing working at all to random odd things happening can happen if you have two zservers running on the same channel.

There is no problem running two zservers, as long as they're on DIFFERENT channels, and talk to a subset of the devices that are on the same channel.

RyanE

Archived