C4 Forums | Control4

Cat5 Wire and C4 touch screens

mridixon

In my new home I have Cat5 wired to all the bedrooms for internet access. All the lines come to the lower portion of the wall next to the cable outlet. I wanted a touch screen in each of the bedrooms, would it be possible that the cat5 line could be shared between the computer and the touchcreen? Please explain how that would work if it could. Thank you

Technically, you could share wires within the CAT5 cable, but it's strongly advised against.

Ethernet (10base-T or 100baseT or even gigabit) only uses 4 of the 8 wires in the CAT5 cable. It is possible to split out the extra 4, and use them for a different ethernet run, but that's definitely non-standard cabling.

Now, if you were going to put in an ethernet touchpanel in the wall, it requires POE for the mini-touch, and POE takes the 'unused' pairs in the CAT5 to power the device, which would not allow you to share it with the computer.

RyanE

If you've only got one Ethernet connection in your rooms, start looking at wireless options.

If you're planning to get the Ethernet Mini Touch Screen, you'll need a PoE injector behind the switch in each room.

Something like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=332

If you want a Touch Screen and only have one Ethernet line to that room, you may want to consider a WiFi Mini Touch Screen. You won't need an Ethernet line for that.

Archived