C4 Forums | Control4

Two zigbee Media Controller on same channel not good?

Khoi

Ok for example, I have two Media Controllers. One at one end of the house and the other in the middle of the house. Lets say channel 14 is interfered by an unknown device. By default when you set up the MCs they are on default zigbee channel 14. When you change one of the MCs channel settings to lets say 8, Composer will not let you change the other MC to channel 8. Why is that? Isnt the point of zigbee to get as many zigbee devices as possible to create on stronger network? On the scenario above the system remotes would only talk to their respective MC and not making a fuller mesh network. Maybe I am not understanding something and somebody can clarify it for me.

You can currently only have one zigbee server per channel in a project.

If you try and have more than one, the zigbee nodes keep getting 'captured' by the other zigbee server, which causes it to need to be identified again. If you want to strengthen your zigbee network, add regular nodes, dimmers, switches, etc.

You can have multiple servers within a project, but they must be on different channels.

We have had the request to allow multiple same-channel zigbee servers within a project, and may at some point in the future, but for now, it does not work that way, and indeed, if you set it up that way, you'd have horrible zigbee performance...

RyanE

Archived