C4 Forums | Control4

DYNDNS and VPN with Cisco RVS4000

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Neter66,

How complex is the 5505 to program? I'm moving away from the RVS4000 and I'm leaning towards one of either 3 models: the new Luxul which I'm sure no one has had much of a chance to play with yet; the ASA 5505 or the netgear business class or UTM models. The 5505 is the only one with advanced programming and I'm just curious what I'd be getting in to.

Neter66,

How complex is the 5505 to program? I'm moving away from the RVS4000 and I'm leaning towards one of either 3 models: the new Luxul which I'm sure no one has had much of a chance to play with yet; the ASA 5505 or the netgear business class or UTM models. The 5505 is the only one with advanced programming and I'm just curious what I'd be getting in to.

The 5505 is very easy to manage / program / maintain. You can use the CLI ( my preference ) or you can use adsm ( the web GUI ).

I had mutual certificate based authentication VPN setup in about 30 mins after starting. Basic routing and firewalling to about 3 minutes before that.

The one thing tht I would warn with the 5505 though, is to watch the license. Default is only 10 active IP sessions at any one time. So, if you add your controllers, iDevices, laptops, desktops, etc etc, you very quickly run out of sessions. Took me a while to figure this me out. I upgraded to the 50 user license, and have had 0 problems since. ( monitoring sessions, I have peaked at about 15 ip devices that need Internet access. )

Thanks

D.

Archived