C4 Forums | Control4

Network Traffic

I have recently installed a new router in my network and I am getting a new log entry every 18 mins. I have attached the error message below.

07/10/2011 17:40:34.672 - UDP packet from LAN dropped - Source:192.168.1.201, 32783, LAN - Destination:192.168.1.1, 53, LAN - Name Service (DNS) -

Controller is 192.168.1.201

Gateway is 192.168.1.1

Is this a problem?

How do I eliminate?

Thank you for your assistance.

BK

Not really enough information there for a very helpful response but I'll try.

The host (controller) at 192.168.1.201 is sending DNS requests to the device writing that log message and that device is discarding that DNS packet.

1. Is that log message on your new router?

2. Is that new router also the DNS server for your network?

It sounds to me like your controller is statically configured to have the router as its DNS server but your router is not providing DNS service. There might be other reasons why the router discards that packet but that's the most likely reason.

If that's true then the fix is to change the TCP/IP configuration in the controller to show the correct DNS server.

Also if that's true then you should check to be sure the controller's IP address is not within the router's DHCP range. (It very well could be.)

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions.

1. yes the log message is being generated and stored on the the new router

2 No the reouter is not the DNS server. DNS server is provided by ISP and the router provides DNS those numbers to the network.

One complicating factor is that the new router is set up as a firewalled subnet to the remaining network

ISP

Personal Network Router/Firewall XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Personal computers and etc

Control4 subnet Router/Firewall 192.168.1.1

controller (192.168.1.201)

ALL DNS services are performed by the ISP and the DNS addresses are loaded into each router

Since the ISP provides the DNS solution

The static controller IP address is a static ipdressis and is not in the DHCP range.

With this additional information does your recommendation change?

Thank you again for your assistance

bkrause

One complicating factor is that the new router is set up as a firewalled subnet to the remaining network

Yes, that IS a complicating factor -- see my many rants about avoiding such things. What advantage are you getting from that?

Besides, your description of your network is still not clear. Is your personal network a different subnet from the subnet containing 192.168.1? What is it? And is your Control4 router's WAN/Internet port connected to your "personal network"? What is THAT address?

BTW, if that's true, it doesn't make any sense to me that your "personal network" router would see a packet from the Control4 network address space unless the Control4 router is not doing NAT. Were you (did you) disable NAT on it?. Regardless, it especially doesn't make sense that your main router would see a packet from the Control4 network that has the Control4 network's router as it's destination address.

There's something missing here...I'm not sure your network is connected and configured quite the way I understand your description of it.

Archived