C4 Forums | Control4

Wiring for a C4 home automation system

rash

Hi All

I am in the process of renovating my old house. I thought about installing a Control4 system, which does everything that I want it to do (Audio, Video, Security, etc). As the renovation is a very big project I want to run the cabling myself, therefore saving money. I am after advice on cabling at the moment.

What I would like to control -

TV - including Satellite, DVD, etc

Audio

Lights - I have looked at Rako lighting, some say its wireless and some say its wired. The back boxes for the C4 lighting are too big and I will need to remove whole bricks.

Heat control - only be able to turn the radiator system on\off. I dont want to control heating in different zones

Doorbell - When pressed, TV to flick over to the CCTV and the doorbell sound to be heard through the speakers in the room

Security

I need help with regards to wiring. As with the CAT6 for the video, do I run all the cabling to the racking? and also how would i control the lighting/

Please can you assist me as I am stuck and it wont be ling before the builder starts plastering.

I am in the UK, if this helps.

Thanks

Rash

General C4 101 stuff...

C4 Lighting, Keypads and Thermostats require no new wiring. They run off of a zigbee(wireless communication) system, the same as your remotes will.

If you purchase touch screens, they can either be hard lined to the network (cat5/cat6) or they can join a wifi network. They must be powered by either AC or a POE (power over Ethernet).

What type of CCTV system are you going to us/have? IP cameras? DVR?

IP cameras can run right into your network and be accessed by the C4 system. Or you can do a DVR and encoder.

Where are you controllers going to be? and where are they going to be in relation to the other devices (dvd, blu ray etc .) controllers can be part of the network by hard line or a wifi stick. You can also run local systems if needed instead of a single house system.

A lot matters on what you will be buying and where it will go. A heavy amount of structured wiring is always a good path. You can accomplish almost any A/V task with the right amount of cat5/6.

Again, this is just some general stuff. Your being very broad with what your asking. Control 4 systems can get pretty out of the box and inventive with the correct dealer/programer. The more detail on the system we can get the more we could help you on what you need to wire for a successful system. Budget has a big impact on the ability of the system as well.

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply..

I have looked at the c4 light switches, but they are too big for my house. Its a old house and the last thing I want to do is start chasing out walls and removing bricks.

I live in the uk and would like to use the standard light switches, for example Rako. I would appreciate it if you can provide me some info about how to install the cabling for the lighting with a rako system. I am going to have about 15 spotlights in the ceiling and these will be controlled using the C4 system...mood lighting etc.

I am also interested in cabling for future curtain\blind control. again integrate this into the C4 system..

The alarm system that has been recommended that is compatible with C4 is a DSC 1382 alarm.

As mentioned earlier, the house is going through full renovation, therefore cabling to a single point in the house where i will store all my equioment.

Things I would like to do with a C4 system

Have all my equipment stored in a central location and be able to have multi room AV

Control my house lighting from the internet\app

1 remote to control everythng.

When selecting a dvd, lighting to change automatically and blinds to close as event takes place.

The house has 2 reception rooms, 1 kitchen, 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. I want to run cabling to all these for future proofing.

Thanks

Archived