C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord Superbus AM2 bus error

Neter66

I have a GE Concord 4 with Superbus module (now) connected to my 300c via serial cable.

I have not 'commissioned' it yet, as my dealer has been away, but it is hooked up, and all seemed to be well.

The other day, however, I started to get a 'Bus Error' on AM2 (the superbus). I know it's the superbus complaining, because I can read the ID of AM2 and it matches the sticker on the superbus PCB. Everything has been fine for the past 3 months, no errors - although I didn't have the serial cable hooked up. I had only connected the superbus to the panel.

I got my cable yesterday, thinking that the superbus was complaining that it didn't have a connection via the DB9. After rebooting the system, it was perfect. Status showed "System OK".

That only lasted for 5 hours. After which, I started to get the Bus Error again on AM2.

Anyone have any ideas why I might be getting a bus error after all this time with no issues?

Is there any way to force the panel to forget the superbus module and have it 'relearn' it - short of just disconnecting, rebooting, connecting, rebooting? Can I simply acknowledge the error on the panel and wait and see if it goes away when my dealer identifies it into the system?

Thanks

D.

I was having a similar problem a while back. We figured out two things. First, I would get the error prior to the module being properly connected in Composer. Essentially, the module did not know what it was talking to. Second, I had to move the module closer to my HC300. I originally had the module serial cable going to Cat5 and back to serial at the HC300 location. I then moved the module in the same closet as the HC300 and ran a simple (3 or 4x wire, forget how many were needed) right back to the security panel from the module (like a keypad wiring). Now the serial cable is only six feet and it is a straight connection (not converting to and from Cat5). I have not had the error since.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I'm hoping it's just that the panel has not been identified.

I'm using a 10' DB9F to DB9M cable as the panel and rack are around the corner from each other. I could move the superbus closer, but be damned if I can find a short serial cable anywhere except cables-to-go and they take 2 weeks to ship, and cost a small fortune in Canada.

I'll try the registering when my dealer gets back. Until then, I have just deleted the bus device by setting the device id to NONE on the panel. Beats having to unhook, reboot, rebook, reboot etc etc every time.

Thanks

D.

Just to update everyone - the AM2 bus error did indeed disappear when the automation unit was plugged into my controller and identified.

Also, wanted everyone to know that the cable length is 10' - so the automation unit, it appears, do not have to be exactly beside the controller. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it starts to throw errors and move it if necessary, but it's good to know that with a good quality cable, 10' will work.

Thanks

D.

Archived