C4 Forums | Control4

Constant power to my thermostat

jroza1

I have a C4 thermostat and I love it, but I do have a power issue. My furnace is quite old and given my cash priorities with our remodel we are not yet replacing the heater yet. The issue we have right now is that we have to replace the battery about every 2-3 weeks because when the heater is on, there is no power to be scavenged. So my question is, can I do a power over Ethernet or some 12 volt transformer or something to power the thermostat?

Has anybody done this?? Thoughts about how to gerryrig?

There are 2.... One white and one red. I have the jumper positioned at RH (with the red wire) and RC and the white is connect at W1.

Power stealing will not work in your situation. You best bet is to run new wire so you have enough conductors for a common wire. If you are going to the trouble of running new wire I would run at a minimum 5 conductor HVAC wire but 7 conductor would be better.

When I remodeled a couple of years ago we overlooked the common wire. Our solution was to install LV transformers at each thermostat location which, fortunately, were close enough to electrical outlets. The transformers install inside the electrical box so they are not visible.

Archived