C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 no longer shows photos on TV

Hello everyone, I'm new. I searched the forum(s) but couldn't find any similar threads. I apologize if I missed something and am reposting something already covered.

My HC300 no longer shows photos on my TV. It used to then stopped. Tech came out and couldn't figure out a solution. They said it times out before C4 can read the computer. TV says not connected to USB port even though there is a cable connected.

Any help and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The hard drive is powered by the HC300 via a USB connection.

Probably should have included in my original post that there is an ethernet hub and only two lights are showing on the connections. The C4 software on the computer (which is upstairs in another room) is asking for an IP address. Although all the IP adresses that I could find didn't work once I tried inputing them into the software.

The tech spent 2 hours fiddling with the system and concluded that there is plenty of room on the hard drive, but we need a new processor since it is timing out. I guess that could be the case, but since the TV is saying that there is no connection to USB and the software is asking for an IP address, I'm wondering if it isn't something in the ethernet hub.

Not saying the Tech is wrong, but he really seemed to want to sell me another controller more than solving the issue. I searched and found this forum in hopes that I could find a solution he might have missed. Thank you so much for all your help.

It's possible there are two different things happening.

1) USB hard drives - it's recommended that you use one that has it's own power adapter. Some drives require more power over the USB port than the controller provides. You might be able to find some previous discussion on that here.

2) It does sound like there may be a network issue. I'd have them check to make sure all the IP information is correct and that the "hub" is good (though I hope thats a switch).

3) It's possible it could be a bad unit, which may be covered under the 2 year warranty.

Archived