C4 Forums | Control4

Is my dimmer going bad?

I have 8 dimable CFL's in my kitchen controlled with an C4 dimmer. The bulbs and dimmer have been in for almost 5 years now.

I have the dimmer programed for tap on = 100%, double tap brings it to 20%.

About a month ago one of the CFL's went out so I replaced it.

Last night it seemed all the bulbs were flickering faintly, but rapidly. Don't know if its my eyes or what.

Could it be the dimmer?

^That is concerning. It's not the outage the kills but the spike when the power comes back on. Of course it all depends on the malfunction itself at the PoCo level but I would be looking at a panel-mounted TVSS in your case.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, pulling the tab on the dimmer solved the problem! Never had to do that before, so I completely forgot about it.

Controlfouruserguy, not familiar with TVSS, but I have a a Leviton whole house surge on both my panels and, Tripp-Lite isobar surge and Tripp-Lite UPS's on my C4 equipment.

Thinking of switching to APC or Furman. (any recommendations?) Seems all my batteries in the UPS's are dead or dying.

Question, after numerous spikes/surges/outages, doesn't the protection start to break down? If so, should I consider replacing my whole house surge protectors?

^I wouldn't bother switching- what would that get you over what you already have? If you have Leviton panel TVSSs, you have some of the best. Do you have surge counters on those Levitons? They do have sacrificial components.

^I wouldn't bother switching- what would that get you over what you already have? If you have Leviton panel TVSSs, you have some of the best. Do you have surge counters on those Levitons? They do have sacrificial components.

No on the surge counters (actually never heard of them)

I am thinking of replacing the Tripp-Lite UPS's since the batteries are dead and they are not user replaceable.

APC has replaceable packs and, you know, it is possible to change-out just the batteries within the packs too. More work but a cost saver. Without knowing details about the historic quality of power, it's not so easy to say whether or not your TVSSs need replacing. Generally though (and I could be wrong), I believe they will go open under a significant surge.

Archived