C4 Forums | Control4

Problems (constant reboot) with HC-300 after upgrading to 1.8.2

I decided that this weekend I'd finally install the 1.8.2 software to take advantage of the sr-250 remotes that I have. Fairly small install with an HC-300, ~15 dimmers, (3) 6 button, thermostat, etc.

After upgrading the HC-300 from 1.7.4 to 1.8.2, it just constantly reboots itself.

Screen shows Loading please wait - Wifi Light just blinks

Screen changes to the please wait screen where each of the modules are loaded - Wifi light solid

Screen shows the IP address assigned to it - Wifi light off

About three minutes later, screen flashes like it's going to load the navigator, but instead goes back to the initial sequence "Loading please wait"

Wifi now flashes Orange like a normal bootup sequence, but this time the system is hung in this state until a reboot or if you wait 20 minutes, it will reboot itself.

Once the IP appears on the screen, the HC-300 is pingable for about 3 minutes. I can connect (briefly) with Composer and telnet, but only for a few minutes before it reboots again.

I've done the RestoreUSB with 1.8.2 several times. Can I try downgrading to 1.7.4 with the USB stick? I haven't created the zigpro pro mesh or launched the embernet upgrade server as I'm stuck after upgrading.

From the Status Manager, I can see that the director is on 1.8.2 - of course, it boots me out shortly after.

Is there a system log that I can look at via telnet before it reboots? (familiar with *nix system) I found a few in the /mnt/ram/ but unsure where else to look. The start logging feature in composer says that the director failed to respond.

Anything else I can try before I attempt to go through the RMA process? I'll post any additional logs that I find on telnet.

Thanks!

I found some interesting logs in the /mnt/persistent/

etc/kernalup.cfg not found

as well as some buffer check mismatches. This was in the kernalup.log I believe (stupidly did not have my putty application logging)

Rebooting seems to be too frequent to do anything useful so I just went ahead and tried the 1.7.4 usb restore.

We'll see how this goes...

After flashing to 1.7.4 system is now stable. albeit needs a reboot after making a change to network configuration. And of course none of my zigbee devices work which I was wary of.

I've attached the info.txt from System Diagnostics. A bit worried about the data crc checks failing:

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x003d4f68: Read 0x1bfe4d5c, calculated 0x42ed3551

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x003cd4e0: Read 0x578c5d4d, calculated 0x03f2f837

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x0017ae2c: Read 0x7ce4282c, calculated 0xad6f429d

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x000d3da8: Read 0x7ba37dfc, calculated 0x863e0018

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): CRC failed on node at 0x007b57ec: Read 0xffffffff, calculated 0xdd152128

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x000d88ec: Read 0xe4456ba2, calculated 0xeeff3d5a

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x00474a80: Read 0x0c68f396, calculated 0x56bfd9ff

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x0028b724: Read 0xf9d50925, calculated 0x2bb23499

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x080176a0: Read 0x6beb41e2, calculated 0x6063075c

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x00187e98: Read 0xb6a63700, calculated 0x58144aa5

<5>jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x0017dd88: Read 0x8a962631, calculated 0x7d648835

<4>dspctrl: module license '© Texas Instruments' taints kernel.

I'll now attempt to go back to 1.8.2 since that's the only way I'll have a usable system. At least I know I can go flash back to 1.7.4 and gather additional logs about the upgrade from the upman folder. Looks like it backs up and saves old log files too automatically.

Trying to upgrade again now. Not having much hope considering the USB restore to 1.8.2 did not resolve the issue the three times I tried it.

Updating to 1.8.2:

Updating PreUpgrade Setup

Updating PreUpgrade Setup Successful

Updating Operating System

Updating Operating System Successful

Updating Device Drivers

Updating Device Drivers Successful

Device will reboot

Updating Control4 Drivers

Updating Control4 Drivers Successful

Updating AMI Drivers and Configurations

Updating AMI Drivers and Configurations Successful

Updating Announcement Media

Updating Announcement Media Successful

Updating System Version

Updating System Version Successful

Updating File System

Updating File System Successful

System image update pending

System image update pending

Running post system image download script

Replacing system image. WARNING: Do not disconnect power

System image updated successful

Rebooting...

Update server going offline

Update server going offline

At this time, it reboots, the wifi light just blinks and I get the 1.8.2 image saying Loading please wait...

Nothing happened for approximately 15 minutes..

Then it rebooted again, and now the white 1.7.4 Control 4 image is saying please wait... wifi light is blinking.

Not pingable... Just waiting it out for now.

I feel your pain. Same thing was happening to my 1.8.2 controller that had been running for months without a problem. I found out one of my wireless outlet dimmers was flashing both LEDs sending bad ZigBee Pro data. Don't know how that would crash my controller after running for 5 or 10 minutes, but it did. I removed it and was stable for a day, but then rebooted and had problems booting again. So, I've gone to extreme measures of opening up my HC-300 and pressing the internal reset button. Now it won't even see the USB recovery stick.

Not sure I'll be able to bring it back from this state, but next step would be to use 'Install from USB UI using Install Stick. Wish me luck, but I just purchased another HC300 just in case.

One question to all C4 Dealers. Is there a way you can 'crash' a controller if your listed as the 'Dealer of Record' on my.control4.com account. If you found a controller that listed you as dealer, but wasn't one of your customers would crash it?

I ended up removing all the remotes in my project as well as some other unused AV drivers. Hit update and went to bed last night.

Woke up with the link light on and the box is stable!

My sunday morning sleep-in has just been cancelled. It's currently going through an upgrading my embernet devices. Hopefully this ends my debacle.

On a related note, does anyone on here dig through the logs and configurations of these boxes and can give me some additional insight on which log to check for the problem?

Archived