C4 Forums | Control4

Quick controller / zone question please

jimlip23

Hi,

I think I have this right, but not sure and need to know for sure.

I have a control setup in one location with an HC1000 and a HC300 along with a 8 zone amp and an AM/FM/XM controller.

I am working on a theater in a nearby location, but not the same location. I plan to move the HC300 over to the theater location for the HT receiver etc. I've been told that I do not need speaker wire or any other cable between the HC300 (theater location) back to the rack but I want to play the theater as my 8th zone for music.... again, I've been told that with the two controllers I am covered, but the 8 zone amp will not have any speaker wires going into the amp... Getting ready to drywall the place and I'd hate to find out I shoulda put something else in... I do have a couple Cat5E between the two locations for future use, but that's it.

Thanks in advance for any expert answer/advice or let me know if i'm posting in the wrong place..

Jim

You need network cables, and probably 4 coax cables. The network cables are for any devices that need internet in your theatre (receiver, blueray, cable/satellite box, game console, HC300 etc.) and the coaxial cables are used for the digital audio running back to the rack from the HC300's audio output(s) (and the receivers zone2 if you wish) to play rhapsody/announcements/mp3s etc throughout the zones in the house.

Thanks for posting Nikon,

I have a coule cat5 network cables. I'm primarily concerned with playing the audio that is at the rack (XM/FM/itunes(sons) in the theater (8th zone), not the other way around. I can play all the audio I want through the 7 zones I have, and I expect the theater to be the 8th zone so just need to pipe the audio to the receiver/hc300 in the theater... While it is open, i'll run some coax... but just want to be absolutely sure I can, for example, be listening to XM ouside on the patio (zone 4) and add the theater (zone 8). I'm told the HC1000 sends the audio to the HC300 and thus through the receiver to the speakers.... but the amp in the rack will have zone 8's speaker posts vacant. Make sense?

sorry... yes, sonos...and the xm/am/fm is c4.

guess the idea is that the hc300 acts as a zone for whatever is running through the hc1000... so i'm in the kitchen listening to XM... I want to add the theater as I head down there... the HC300 is ID'd as the theater zone and receives the 'audio content' which it sends to through the receiver to the speakers.. Again, It doesn't make sense to me.. the HT installers I'm using don't do C4 (long story) so they are hiring a C4 dealer to program etc... I'm afraid they have mis-understood the question when speaking with the c4 guys. So i'm trying to get it straight before the room gets drywalled and I'm out of luck.

Yeah there was a definite misunderstanding along the way. You almost got shot in the foot there. The HC1000 will stream nothing to the HC300 as it has no inputs and cannot digitize any of the analog sources.

That said, There are a few ways you can go about this: the proper way, the not so proper way, and the really dirty way.

The proper way would be to get an audio matrix and plug all sources into it and run the outputs from it to the 8 zone amplifier and the AV receiver.

The not so proper way would be to use the 8th output on the 8 zone amplifier as a matrix to run to the input on your AV receiver using line level converters.

The really dirty way would be to split all outputs on your am/fm/xm tuner and the Sonos and run them all to individual inputs on the AV receiver.

Personally in this situation the not so proper way would be the most cost effective by far and would need only 2 coaxial cables, line level converters, and a C4 programmer that knows what he is doing. Is there a reason why you don't want to just put your AV receiver in the rack?

wow.. glad I didn't just take his word for it.

No reason on my end not to put the receiver in the rack... I"m wondering if b/c they're used to working with Celesteron (sp?) or something, they are accustomed to doing it differently or something. I guess maybe the idea was to have the video content (dvd/directv/PS3) going HDMI into the receiver and the receiver having HDMI out to the (all close in proximity) TV and future projector.

These guys are supposedly good HT guys and they're much closer than the C4 guys around and they were much quicker (and friendlier) to respond with a plan and installation.

I still have time to get 4-6 coax cables from one location to the other and I plan to call them first thing tomorrow to get them on the ball (they took responsibility for the whole project knowing I am using C4 throughout the house, so I plan to hold their feet to the fire....may have to put off drywalling by a couple days...

damn.

Well don't burn them too much good home theatre guys are hard to find and some Control4 guys don't know much about proper home theatre design.

That said, with the C4 dealer that is doing the programming do you know anything about them? You should probably find and stick with a dealer that you know that you can trust not only to program your system this time, but for future support as well. Not all dealers are the same and there are probably more bad ones than good ones. If the C4 dealer that the HT guys are using made the suggestion for the setup of your system with "proper" information given to them I would personally question their knowledge and capability.

Archived