C4 Forums | Control4

iport / ipod use

Ryan, or anyone else who has used the iPort with the new software, this question is for you.

I noticed that in the driver instructions for the iPort it mentions the maximum number of "List Items" that a video iPod can upload to the system. It mentions 40 songs. Does this mean that if I hook up a current generation video iPod to the system that it will only show 40 songs?

If so, what generation of the large gb iPod will work with C4 to show all the songs on the connected iPod?

Thanks.

Joe

No, it means that there was a firmware version (likely now fixed) of the video iPod where the iPort could only retrieve 40 list items (songs / genres / artists / albums) from the iPod *at a time*. The iPort driver would then ask for the *next* 40 list items, then the *next*.

It's safe to leave it on 40, it doesn't slow it down that much.

I'd also recommend leaving the maximum number of items to retrieve at a lower number you can live with (like 500 or so), unless you like waiting for long lists. i.e. if you have 6000 songs on the iPod, and you ask it to list all songs, you could be waiting quite a while... It's still over the serial port, so it's not quite as zippy as on the iPod's own display.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan, that makes more sense now!

It sounds like the list of all songs would then not be very usable - which is probably fine for most everything anyways!

However, all other things with lower lists of songs such as playlists, albums, artists, should come up quickly - is this correct?

Yep.

'relatively' quickly. If you still have many hundreds of items in a list of artists, etc., it could take several seconds to come up, but the Navigators display an hourglass and say 'Please Wait', and a percentage of how much has been retrieved.

RyanE

Ryan, do you have any volume issues with the iPod in the iPort? I just hooked up mine and the volume is very low. Sound Check is off, volume switch on the iPort is set to "off". If I play digital music off the Media Center, mid volume is at 50%, to even hear anything off the iPod through iPort I need to go up to 90% on the C4 volume control.

Also, is there any way to turn off the iPod music being played. I have removed the iPod from the iPort when playing and it locks the whole iPort up on C4.

Thanks -

Joe

Joe,

I have pulled the iPod out of the iPort many times, and it should not lock up the Control4 system, or the iPort. You should be able to pop it out, it should change to 'offline', and then when you pop it back in, it should be ready to go again.

If you want to stop playing music on the iPort, you can either pause, or you can send the 'stop' command (if you're using something like a 6-button keypad to control it).

As far as the volume, it's common for different analog sources to have different volume levels. What are you using for distribution? If you're using a Control4 audio switch (and maybe the Amp/Swich, I can't remember), you can set the input level for inputs on the switch.

RyanE

Ryan, thanks. I will try it again, but it is freezing up the iport screen of the system.

As for changing input levels on the martix switcher, how do you do that? I can't find a way to make the change to the input level, only the output levels. I am sure I doing something wrong!

Joe

Archived