C4 Forums | Control4

Installer recommendation..... or not.. dont use Metronet Safe & Sound

I'm new to control 4. i have a configuration mapped out. I'm now waiting for my house to be completed next month to begin the install and programming. I've been dealing with a Control4 installer in Chicago:

Metronet Safe & Sound

Initially, their main c4 guy, Jack Schultz was very responsive and helpful. I'm a rather technical guy and once I started to suggest configurations that would save money, the frequency of his returned message slowed to a stop. He wouldn't return emails or phone calls.

Obviously, Metronet Safe & Sound is primarily concerned about maximizing their profits and not providing the best solution for the individual.

Stay away from this outfit. Unethical and Unprofessional. If you are spending this type of money, go with something with better business ethics.

Luckily, i've found a different installer and i even have a personal reference for this guy.

Wish me luck.

I find this type of message somewhat offensive.

It's likely that your configurations would drive the project into not being profitable for the company.

How is it unethical for him to choose to not do business that will hurt his business? Unprofessional, yeah, I can see that... Unethical? I don't think so. Also, I think a lot of dealers often come across the type of customer that nickles and dimes them to death, and I can understand if they choose to not deal with that type of customer.

I'm not saying that's the type of customer YOU are, but when you're giving off those signs...

"If you are spending this type of money, go with something with better business ethics." Funny. Sounds to me like you don't want to 'spend this type of money'.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a dealer, but maligning a dealer because he decided not to do your job is not necessarily going to help things.

RyanE

RyanE,

I appreciate your response. Balance is always good.

I think you missed the point of my post. My issue with Metronet Safe & Sound is their unprofessional treatment. I don’t care if they don’t want to do business with me. There are many dealers out there. I made 2 personal trips to their office, had many telephone conversations and exchanged numerous emails. I responded to Jack Schultz’s last email asking me when my house was to be completed so we could schedule an installation date…. And the communication stopped. I can’t imagine you or the people at Metronet Safe & Sound would appreciate that type of treatment. I didn’t do anything to deserve that. Luckily the delivery on the house that I’m building was delayed by a month or I would have been in a very bad situation. That is unprofessional by any measure (I’ll concede the word “unethical”… I can understand both sides to that argument).

And to be clear, I wasn’t attempting to nickel and dime anyone. In my first conversation with Jack Schultz, we agreed that he’d give me a fair price in which he could still make money. I completely understand that he’s in the business to make money but none of us want to overspend either. No home automation solution is “cheap” and most people looking at Control4 aren’t looking for the maxed out AMX or Crestron solution. I’m sure most of the dealers out there are ethical and well intentioned but I’m sure there are some that are out to maximize their profits on the uninformed consumer. I’m sure you’d advise anyone that is spending ten of thousand of dollars on anything should ask questions to be comfortable that they are getting a good value for their money. Not only are they in the services business but they are in the sales business. The “do business with me at my prices, on my terms, and don’t ask any questions” doest work for me or most people that I know.

One thing I didn’t mention in my original post was that their communication coincidentally stopped when I asked for a telephone reference. When someone avoids the request for a reference, the most logical conclusion is that there is something to hide.

Sharing my experiences shouldn’t cause a problem or offend anyone. If I had a positive experience, I’d share that as well.

C4nchi

I also live in Chicago and I recently installed ~12K in C4 equipment. I interviewed and received quotes from three vendors:

- MetroNet (whom I found online without a personal reference)

- ABT Appliance (by "default" when you live in the Chicagoland area)

- Metropolitan Home Theater (via personal reference, although the reference did not have C4 installed)

I would be happy to share all the gory details via email if you're interested but I can tell you the following facts per your original post:

- Jack @ MetroNet was responsive and provided details in a timely manner. His quote was inline with what I expected.

- Abe @ ABT (Custom Install Dept) was not timely, was unresponsive, and provided a quote that was more than twice what I expected and twice the other two quotes.

- Mark @ Metropolitan was responsive, helpful and appeared very knowledgable (I would qualify him as an almost pompous audiophile). His quote was inline with what I expected.

All in all, I'm ~85% happy with C4 as a solution. I'm ~75% happy with my dealer. I'm curious to hear who you wound up with.

My guess is that the level of attention from someone like Jack (who's a smaller dealer than either ABT or Metropolitan) is at least partially a function of what else he has going on. The bigger jobs get more attention so the smaller jobs suffer. Don't get me wrong ... I don't think it matters if you're spending $5K or $25K, you should at least get the courtesy of a call back.

my current install was at $13k. we were discussing more work such as running additional structure cabling throughout the house (the house is pretty big).

like i said, i'm new to the C4 family so i dont know if that qualifies at a big or small job.

C4nchi,

I'm sorry I missed the point of your post. My main argument was you calling a dealer unethical.

Again, I'm also sorry you've had a bad experience with a Control4 dealer.

Good luck with your project.

RyanE

Archived