C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Outlet Dimmer - RMA or something else?

I have an outlet dimmer that will (~ once a month) suddenly show both LED's lit as orange. When I click up or down, it will return to normal however, it seems to have fallen off the network so to speak. It can no longer be controlled via remote, MTS, etc. I have to go through the clicking up 4 times to re-identify it in order for it to work properly again.

Is it time to RMA?

How far away from the controller (and other Zigbee devices) is it?

Do you have other devices that operate on 2.4 GHz? Baby Monitor? Wireless Phones, Wi-Fi on a channel that could conflict with your Zigbee channel?

RyanE

It's much closer to the controller than other devices in the house. I have three dimmers a little further away that are all functioning without issue. No phones or baby monitors in that particular room. Also, the Wi-Fi in the house is much stronger near other C4 dimmers and hasn't been an issue. I can try changing the Wi-Fi channel, but this seems to be the only affected C4 device.

Also, to clarify, the only way of getting the dimmer back in to the system is to reset it (9,9,9) and only then can it be re-identified.

Any chance it could be the way it's wired? Ground came loose or something? I might open it up and check that all the connections are still made properly.

You say 'outlet dimmer'. If it's an outlet dimmer, it can't be wiring... Outlet dimmers are a plug-in device, that has two plugs on it for lamps.

If it's a regular Control4 dimmer that's wired up to an outlet, that's not recommended, mainly because someone could plug in something that a Control4 dimmer is not intended to 'dim' into it.

RyanE

What kind of a load is it controlling?

How is it wired? Is it switch-leg wired (no neutral)? Is it wired 'normally' with a neutral, ground, hot, and load?

Is anything else going on around the time it loses connection to the network?

Is it under warranty? If it's still under warranty, and you can't find any other reason, RMA may be your best choice. Your dealer can discuss the options with Control4's tech support before doing an RMA, but if you can rule out the obvious things first, it's much easier.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan - it's controlling 4 over head recessed lights (65W R30's). It is wired 'normally" with a neutral, ground, hot, and load. I was hoping to identify the cause of this happening (fuse thrown, light coming on in different part of the house) but it seems completely random. I'll probably just work with my dealer to RMA it the next time I add more switches elsewhere in the house. If the next Dimmer has the same issue I'll know it's something in my house causing it. Fortunately, I have no issues with any of the other Dimmers throughout the house.

Archived