C4 Forums | Control4

How to get variable value from other driver (through name)

Hello!

The standart function of Control4 API C4:GetVariable have two parameters, which are Device ID and Variable ID. So, I can see the Device ID in driver information, but do not Variable ID. How can I get value of device variable through the name or how can I get it Variable ID?

Thanks for help!

The easiest way in 2.8 (may have been in 2.7.x, but I don't know for certain) is to call C4:GetDeviceVariables(idDevice).

That call returns a table, with VariableID referencing another table, which includes name, value, and a host of other things, such as type, readonly, hidden.

Execute this Lua:

for k,v in pairs(C4:GetDeviceVariables(29)) do print(k, v.name, v.value) end  -- Replace 29 with a device id...

What are you wanting to do this for, out of curiosity?

RyanE

The easiest way in 2.8 (may have been in 2.7.x, but I don't know for certain) is to call C4:GetDeviceVariables(idDevice).

I tried it, but it didn't work. There are not API function C4:GetDeviceVariables neither in documentation nor in DriverEditor. The table always is empty, for any device ID

That call returns a table, with VariableID referencing another table, which includes name, value, and a host of other things, such as type, readonly, hidden.

Execute this Lua:

for k,v in pairs(C4:GetDeviceVariables(29)) do print(k, v.name, v.value) end  -- Replace 29 with a device id...

Ryan,

Thanks - this is a great time saver!

Archived