C4 Forums | Control4

Best Practice - Tekmar vs Aprilaire +/- Nuheat

ERDrPC

I'm getting ready for my renovation. My dealer is great (prev Elan G install with him and Crestron work) but is new to C4 and I'm helping to brainstorm.

I plan on using electric floor heating in 5 ensuites and mud room floor. Eventually the kitchen floor and entry walkways as well (2018). Likely Nuheat unless anyone has a suggestion. I see that nuheat's 3rd party driver has been removed. I emailed them and waiting for a response. Is it now a built in C4 driver or is there no way to add in the zones. There will be 9 zones total. Can all 9 be controlled by C4? 

I'm also digging out the basement so I will be installing a two zone hydronic in floor heating system. I'm also putting into place the ability to snow melt the backyard patio/walkway to the hot tub and front entryway/driveway. I think this will need a separate boiler and system than the basement. Tekmar seems to be the way to go with respect to controlling this and there is a C4 driver. Can the C4 driver support two separate tekmar modules (I don't think I can run the system off of only one)?

Can Aprilaire also control the hydronic floor heating and outside snow melting?

He wants me to use Aprilaire thermostats, but from what I can find, I may need a combination of tekmar control for the boilers and Aprilaire for the central HVAC. I may also have to use the Nuheat controller and hopefully it will integrate. 

Big question - will the new HVAC control on C4 bring everything together in a unified environment - ie not having to switch apps? 

I  can't be the only one doing this?

Okay simpler questions - will Aprilaire control hydronic heating? Can tekmar thermostats be used for all systems and not just hydronic boilers?

Anyone use Tekmar?

Nope :-)

We have electrical underfloor heating with some off the shelf standard thermostat and I am currently looking into getting the underfloor heating integrated to C4 (my thread).

The new NuHeat was suggested to me. Otherwise I have not found a solution that is available in Canada yet (Heatmiser makes Thermostats for underfloor heating that are Control4 compatible, however they are not available in Canada/NA when I remember correctly)

I was primarily looking at EcoBee 3 - but from what I have understood so far that in mainly for heating via "warm air" and not underfloor heating

This is the one I am talking about:

http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-neokit-e-smart-floor-heating-thermostat-kit-glacier-white/

I have the non "e-"version at my home in Europe, works OK.

Thanks. Nuheat's new driver will be out soon. It will connect over wifi and I've been assured that 9 sep zones will be easily controlled. Now back to Aprilaire - can they control boilers or snow melting systems?

Archived