C4 Forums | Control4

Is Control4 the right solution for the needs?

Currently I have 10 Insteon lights switches controlled by an ISY994 that Iprogrammed myself. Will be moving in a few months and considering a C4 system for the purpose of controlling whole home audio, status updates from DSC panel, viewing Hikvion NVR and lights are a bonus. 

C4 is simply for the sake of convenience (single pane of glass), as each can be controlled independently via their respective apps. I understand only dealers can do the initial install, I have received a few quotes which seem high (over $3k in programming+ being forced in to hardware I don't want/like EA5), so here I am getting my final insights as whether or not this system is for me. 

Ideally I would start with;

Zones: 3 initially
Audio: Denon  AVR6500 for living room + zone 2 for dining room + zone 3 for bedroom ( Spotify + redirecting rca input to all zones)
Video: Nvidia Shield ( sent to living room zone, + Kodi Driver), PC, Cisco 9865, Xbox, Wii
Security DSC Panel (Alarm panel status + Arm), Hikvision NVR ( View 3 streams)
HVAC : Control Ecobee
Lighting : Insteon (  ISY994,  serial PLM & Home Hub available)

Future (18-24months):
Replace zone 2 & 3 audio with Russsound multi channel amp 
Add 2 more zones
Integration of BigAssFans - Haiku 
Home theater ( Second Denon AVR + JVC projector) 

What is a realistic and reasonable budget for this setup(Canada or USD) ? Is a CA-1 powerful enough to orchestrate these zones and devices? Will I run into license issues? 4Sight supported? 

Lastly i'm a network engineer.

I would lean towards the EA-3 instead of EA-1 if the OP is doing multi-room audio simply because the EA-1 only has HDMI output while the EA-3 has analog stereo and digial coax. EA-5 would appear overkill.

The OP as a network engineer is an ideal candidate for a remote install = I don't see just the programming getting to $3,000 based on his original post.

2 hours ago, AK1 said:

I would lean towards the EA-3 instead of EA-1 if the OP is doing multi-room audio simply because the EA-1 only has HDMI output while the EA-3 has analog stereo and digial coax. EA-5 would appear overkill.

The OP as a network engineer is an ideal candidate for a remote install = I don't see just the programming getting to $3,000 based on his original post.

He mentioned eventually moving to Russound for audio so I thought maybe he would be using that for audio output.

Ideally I planned on using the AVR to feed the living room, and it's Zone 2 and 3 respectively for the additional zones. The future Russound requirement will allow me to decouple amplifier from the source allowing me to do room correction (via DDRC-24 or minidsp-10x10-hd) in the living room as its an unusual layout. I'm open to an EA-1,  but figured why have a device with several outputs I may never use? 

@AK1 Remote install is not an issue.. I can give you Sophos VPN client so you program from your own workstation, or spin up a windows VM which you can install what ever is required. I will PM you. 

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread... its greatly appreciated. 

Archived