C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for switches and Dimmers

jroza1

I am currently installing a Control4 system in my home and I am looking for about a dozen white switches/dimmers. I am not really excited to pay $129 each - any deals out there or good used ones?

Let me know.

Josh

I'd bet if you offer your dealer $1,000 or $1,100 for a 10 pack he'd take it.

Buying used ones is risky. People don't pull functional dimmers out and sell them because they don't want them anymore...it's usually because they quit working properly.

Also, no matter how you get them, you likely want the new version of the dimmers, but know that they're ZigBee Pro only.

The new version of the dimmers has a better 'feel' on the buttons, and a few other improvements.

RyanE

Hey RyanE .. just a dumb ole question. If the prior/current version of dimmers and switches that work on 1.7 are upgradable to Zigbee Pro, why didn't Control4 go with the improvements you mention such as tactile feel etc. but keep the same Zigbee format? That way there would always be product for those who wish to stay on 1.7 but they would be upgradable to Zigbee Pro, just like they are now, for those that want to go up to 1.8 or 2.0.

Kill 2 birds with one stone eh??

While I don't speak for Control4 in saying this, and saying that I don't work in Hardware / Firmware engineering, I believe the main reason is that the new dimmers use a newer ZigBee chip, and porting the older 'Embernet' platform to the newer chip was not deemed the additional engineering / integration / testing effort.

RyanE

Hey ILoveC4 (by the way, you think you are on any government/Homeland Security watch lists because of your screen name?), :P

Send over some names of dealers who will take $1,000 for a 10-pack of the new dimmers, ok? I need to buy a pack, maybe 2... :D

I'm only about 15% kidding... I do need to buy that many at least to get started.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived