C4 Forums | Control4

XBMC requirements

Ringold

I have been reading on this forum and the XMBC site about XBMC. Still have a couple of questions.

1. What are the physical connections required to run XMBC??? I mean, can i just run XMBC on my home pc or do I need a dedicated media computer or other physical device separately running xbmc and nothing else????

2. I have a video matrix, so would I need to have a video output from my computer or other device running the xbmc to the video matrix??

Don't really understand the physical connections and equipment needed to run this software.

Thanks in advance...

View XBMC like a DVD player. It needs the same physical video and audio connections to your switch.

It is recommended to get a lower power consumption, dedicated box to run XBMC, although you can run it on your PC. Just be aware that you will need to leave the program running all the time, and while you're using it as a media player you won't be able to use it as a PC.

Thanks for the input. That's what I figured... I already have a WD TV Live running flawlessly with c4, which plays .iso files (including Blu-Ray) from my network drive, computer, and attached HD.

I don't really see where there will be any added functionality with the XBMC unless there is something that I am missing...

Plus, I understand the c4 driver must be purchased.

For those of you using, XBMC, is there substantial additions with XBMC over what I am already doing with the WD TV Live???

^ The driver gives you the ability to use C4's native browsing of movie art and cover data and instruct the xbmc player to start the selected track. It also let's you control the xbmc player interface with the C4 remote.

The driver is opensource (no charge) I believe but you'll need to get your dealer to secure it and do the install.

Actually I think you could technically use it as a PC at the same time if you have two video cards and do not have the displays mirrored. You can maximize XBMC on one display and use the PC on the other, although control could get a little snarky if someone is trying to use XBMC on a TV and someone else is using the PC.

Best solution I have found is a Mac Mini or AppleTV running XBMC as they have integrated IR and C4 drivers (although XBMC also has the free IP driver from AlanChow). AppleTV plus CrystalHD card will run you $170 (refurb from apple.com plus CHD card from Ebay) and runs HD video reasonably well with a few caveats... and if you use the Linux install (simply plug in a USB drive with a disk image found on xbmc.org forums) then it will have even better performance and true 1080p output.

Ringold - WD Live has a basic interface etc, XBMC is much more thorough and customizable. The best way to see the differences is to look at videos on youtube etc and see what people have done with it. That being said, if you dont care about presentation, coverart, imdb data and ratings, and the interface that much then the amount of time and effort needed to make it fully functional may not be worth it to you.

I use the HTPC and whatever is running on it (Name it XBMC or Medios or Media Player) as another type of input on my receiver and use a bluetooth extender to receive signals from a Logitech DiNovo Mini.

Hope the idea helps.

J

Archived