C4 Forums | Control4

Downgrade HC-300 from 2.0 back to 1.8.2 ?

SuperSpiker

It is possible to downgrade a controller from 2.0 to 1.8.2 with a USB restore. The problem is that the ZigBee Pro firmware is not downgraded so there is a version mismatch between the ZigBee Pro version on the controller and the ZigBee Pro firmware on all the other devices. It is not a supported process.

May I ask what you don't like about OS 2.0 that you want to go back?

FWIW, I successfully downgraded my entire system from 2.0 to 1.8.2, and left it that way for several hours.

Entire system including the zigbee pro firmware? And you did this on your own without your dealer? If so is this something you can tell me how to do?

Lastly, why did you only leave it that way for several hours? Did you go back to 2.0?

I only rolled back to troubleshoot something, not because I didn't like 2.0. It was documented here. It will require a dealer. I did aUSB restore on the main controller, then let that controller "upgrade" all the other controllers to 1.8.2. It isn't possible to rollback the firmware on the dimmers, switches, etc...so obviously I didn't. The system seemed to perform fine, although I upgraded back to 2.0 quickly.

I should also say more clearly that I didn't do enough testing to tell you that you could do this without experiencing any problems, but everything I did worked fine.

If you really don't want 2.0 for some reason and your dealer is comfortable trying it, I would say have him go for it. I think the worst case is you'd upgrade back to 2.0 and be out some labor dollars to your dealer.

I did it with my system and ran for several weeks because of some shows we were doing in the house. It was not supported, becuase the firmware for devices are different in 2.0 than in 1.8. The main issues I saw was with my thermostats not reading correctly, everything else seemed to perform ok.

I have to ask, is there issues with 2.0 in your system, or just an interface preferance?

2.0 is garbage. The flash interface is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW and adds no value whatsoever. 2.0 is a total bust. Seems C4 used Flash so they could try copy Apples success with their app store. These "apps" are as useless as 2.0 itself.

After my dealer "upgraded" my HC-300 without asking my permission I've had the following problems:

-Door locks don't work consistently

-Email alerts stopped working

-All A/V stopped responding to the remote

I'm pretty sure my dealer knows he screwed up big time by prematurely updating and he doesn't know how to fix it so he doesn't return my calls.

So let this be a lesson to dealers. Don't do anything to MY setup unless I tell you to! Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just like I don't upgrade to a new version of Windows or install a new service pack for 6 months after its release so the bugs can be worked out. This is the same thing. WHY WOULD ANYONE upgrade to a new release of the C4 until time has revealed the bugs and you have a plan in place to address them. You know what happens when you dive in blindly? Exactly what is happening to me now.

The worst part? I'm positive my dealer is going to want to charge me to fix HIS screw ups. What a joke.

And to think all of this could be avoided if I had the ability to CONTROL my C4 system with Composer Pro. But no. I'm an idiot consumer that C4 doesn't trust.

So in the end from what it sounds like I cant get things back to the way they were before. Zigbee version mismatches and such even if I were to downgrade back to 1.8.2

So thanks Mr. Dealer. You suck.

Sorry you are having such a bad experience but I think you need to find another dealer. But you probably won't get any help for free though. An alternative is to try and reach out to C4 directly, if you can. I always get a proposal from my dealer so what they do is documented.

I hope it works out for you.

...But you probably won't get any help for free though...

I know. Why would a company (or dealer) want to fix for free what THEY screwed up. Hell I should become a dealer... screw up installs and then charge BOAT LOADS of money to fix my own intentional screw ups MUAHAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!

I personally like 2.0, and I think I can help you out with your email alerts, I had that issue as well, check out my thread in the troubleshooting section.

I don't know when he did the "upgrade", but I think it takes a day or two to really settle in....that has been my experience in the past with major changes.

Do you just have a single HC300 controller running everything?

I can help you out with your email alerts, I had that issue as well, check out my thread in the troubleshooting section

Is that the thread where you identified the controller as UUID rather than IP to get email alerts working again? If so I've checked on that and the controller is already identified as UUID. Thanks for trying to help me though :)

Do you just have a single HC300 controller running everything?

Yes. My setup is very simple at the moment. I am trying to expand it to do lighting and XBMC but these setbacks are slowing down the process big time.

It is my understanding that a single HC300 isn't a good idea with 2.0.

I think this is one of the reasons the HC200 came along, is to make it easier for people to have dedicated navigators for 2.0. That, and to have Zigbee Pro access points.

EDIT: Typo.

Archived