C4 Forums | Control4

Sending Sony DVD Changer Video Signal to multiple rooms

I have a customer who wants to be able to watch and control the 400 Disc Sony ES DVD Changer. He knows he can't watch two different movies at the same time but does want to be able to watch a movie in either room.

Has anyone tried this? And if so how'd you do it and was it successful?

Please help!

Thx

-Joe

Either use a Component Switcher or Modulate it - Component will send 480p to both sources (and give a better quality picture) - modulating it and sending it over an "UNUSED" TV channel in the house will do just that - but it'll be 480i and will only look as good as the cable / channel conditions (but is the cheapest way to do it). As for control - I'm assuming you'd be using a Control4 controller - so that'll control either suggestion.

Well a modulator won't degrade the signal - but it's only as good as: 1) It's source, 2) Quality of the cable in the home and 3) how "clean" the channel you're modulating to is.

Video amp / splitter is going to give component (which is far better) - but it too really won't degrade the signal (it's just got a much better signal to start with already) - but it's more costly to run the wire all over the house (can't re-use what's already in the wall).

I should state, that you will actually very slightly degrade the signal in either scenario - but it's not noticeable if you do this correctly.

Joe,

Just so you know, if both TV's support different maximum resolutions and different screen sizes 16:9/4:3 you will have to set the system to the lowest resolution and you will have blackspace on the 16:9 if set to 4:3 and on the 4:3 if set to 16:9. I don't know if the 777 supports outputting to the main TV in the room where the 777 is located via component cables and hidef and outputting composite/s-video to a modulator simultaniosly or if it would be pointless because you'd need to set the 777 to 480i for the SDTV modulator. Just a thought....I'm still waiting for mine to see how it all works.

We are doing this currently to 8 - 50" Plasmas (Pioneer Elite Pro FHD-1's). We are routing all Audio and video through a NeoThings http://www.neothings.com/Avalon.html Avalon 8x8 with out any video/audio degradation. Take a look at the NeoThings products. I have been using them for years with out any issues. In fact I wrote a post about them on here some time back.

GoGo D !

I have this http://shinybowusa.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=46f973c40abd3ba9668e069402eb3e36 and it works GREAT. Dont let the price steer you away, you can get that for half the price online / ebay / google search!!! I think I paid $900? NEW in the box!

I can watch any of my DVD or HD players using this on any TV in my system.

I will post, where I bought mine from later, I have the info at my office. I bought mine from the company that makes them for ShinyBow. Go Figure!!!???

Scott

I'm using an 8x8 component video switcher. I thought I wouldn't need so many inputs but you can do some really cool things with these. The best use is hooking up the Xbox360 and using the wireless controllers to play in any room from the 1 Xbox360. Mine is in my basement and the controllers work in my living room on the 1st floor flawlessly. Sony DVD changer is hooked up so I can watch movies in any room. I also hooked up a PC that plays my music videos so I can have all 8 TVs on in the house playing music videos fro parties if I want. I say spend the money on a component video switch...it has really come in use many times.

I have this http://shinybowusa.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=46f973c40abd3ba9668e069402eb3e36 and it works GREAT. Dont let the price steer you away, you can get that for half the price online / ebay / google search!!! I think I paid $900? NEW in the box!

I can watch any of my DVD or HD players using this on any TV in my system.

I will post, where I bought mine from later, I have the info at my office. I bought mine from the company that makes them for ShinyBow. Go Figure!!!???

Scott

Where did you find that for $900? I can't even find it for less than $1500!

That does look like a nice switch. I would buy it if I didn't need atleast an 8x8. I really want to get the Shinybow 8x8, but can only find it for like $1600. If takitezsdc knows where to get it for less that awesome. because I can almost buy a HC-300 for that!. What I'd really like is a 16x16 or even 12x12 for around $2000, but I don't think any exist that cheap.

I'm using an 8x8 component video switcher. I thought I wouldn't need so many inputs but you can do some really cool things with these. The best use is hooking up the Xbox360 and using the wireless controllers to play in any room from the 1 Xbox360. Mine is in my basement and the controllers work in my living room on the 1st floor flawlessly. Sony DVD changer is hooked up so I can watch movies in any room. I also hooked up a PC that plays my music videos so I can have all 8 TVs on in the house playing music videos fro parties if I want. I say spend the money on a component video switch...it has really come in use many times.

I've always wondered about the xbox thing but doesn't it become a pain when it's in a remote location and you want to play a different game?

http://stores.ebay.com/jjobin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=220037053015

This is the guy I bought it from. I noticed he is selling them for $1700 now......BUT he was back when I bought them......

What you need to do it get in touch with him and ask him if he will sell you one for $900. ( forget his name) His phone number is 877-263-8876, but I think it was the owner?

Tell him a friend of yours bought one from him for $900 about 6 months ago and you really would like to get one for around that price.........he might do it!!??

Scott

Thank you Scott. I'll give him a call in morning and let everyone here know what he says.

I also have a question about using more than one matrix switche. For instance, in the master suite, the TV is mounted on the wall and there is component cable run in the wall from the TV to the bedroom closet. There is also component cable running from the bedroom closet to the main system closet . If i set up the 8x8 the way I would like, there are no inputs left for the DTV receiver (in the master) on the 8x8. Could I take the output from the 8x8 and put it into another 4x2 (there are two rooms with this problem) and then put the DTV box into the 4x2 and then run the output from the 4x2 to the TV (through the bedroom closet)?

Basically can control4 switch two matrix switches to get the desired input, or is that too complicated? I would really like to avoid buying a 16x16 because they get significantly more expensive!

Harrison

Okay gave him a call this morning and didn't get through so I left him an ebay message. He replied within 2 hours and told me he would do it for $1080 + $15 for shipping. So I paid the paypal invoice of $1095 and it should be on its way soon! Thank you Scott, you saved me $500 :) I greatly appreciate it. If anyone else is interested I'm sure he'd do a similar deal. $1100 for a 8x8 component/audio matrix switch is an amazing deal. I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere.

Thank you Scott, you saved me $500 :) I greatly appreciate it. If anyone else is interested I'm sure he'd do a similar deal. $1100 for a 8x8 component/audio matrix switch is an amazing deal. I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere.

NP, I am glade I was able to help!! Enjoy!

Scott

The Sony ES is around $2500 and it doesn't even switch sound! It only offers 8 HD inputs and 4 composite inputs with up-conversion. I would rather have a 12x12 with all HD inputs. I figured out a way to make the 8x8 work. In the rooms I was going to need that additional matrix switch for, I have stereo receivers which will switch between the output from the matrix switch and the direct tv receiver. Besides I only paid $1100 for the Shinybow 8x8. If I went with the C4 model I would need another Audio Matrix Switch and it would cost almost $4000. But after looking around $4000 for a 12x12 isn't a bad price, its just more than I was looking to spend and not completly what I needed.

str1der,

If you want to be able to have an 8x8 with the ability to seperate video from audio, I think you should look into buying two of these. One can be used for video and the other for audio. It comes up to about the same price. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/8x8covimasww.html

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good deal. It just suprised me that the audio and video are tied together on that switcher. Almost every other one I've looked at you can switch the audio and video seperate.

Archived