C4 Forums | Control4

Popcorn Hour Performance - Great Stress Test

sjj31a

I installed a second popcorn hour and a 2TB LaCie NAS drive (plugged directly into a Gigabit Ethernet Switch). I do not have any video matrix switches. What I got to thinking was could I hit the same movie in 2 different spots from a single IFO file on the NAS and still have great performance. Bottom line, I did it and it streamed to both, different places in the movie (1 at the beginning and the other 1/2 way through) and performed perfectly. I am going to add one more unit and I am then going to try to do with 3. The core of my system is still the 777 DVD but the popcorn hours serve very specific rooms of high activity where conflicts often occur re: excercise room, great room, kids family room on the 777, hence this solves it. Great solution for less than $1500 (for all 3, the dealer programming time and the 2TB NAS).

The only downside is the interface is still very lame ..... please someone, 3rd party etc integrate with C4!!!

I have not yet installed. I was actually reviewing the instructions today and this seems somewhat beyond my technical expertise. Do you know a dealer with expertise in this that you could recommend? I am willing to pay :-)

I and Control4 have both attempted to talk with the Popcorn Hour developers directly - they are not interested at all, in opening up the back end of the device to allow it to integrate into Control4, as the Netgear EVA8000 currently does. :( You are free to contact them and work them some more and try and convince them - as Control4 was quite interested in getting them to do this - but Control4 will not do the "hack" method which is unsupported, and thus we'll never see a driver written for it. :(

Sybas - the people that OEM the software to various hardware developers. Which we (I) would have thought would be open to it - help sells more of their software on many more platforms... :( You'll see some public posts in their forums from me (though not all was done there - 1/2 was done via private email). Feel free to post a reply in their public forums stressing them you'd like to see it. Maybe if enough people request it, they'll re-consider. :)

sjj31a,

The installation for the YAMJ seems much more complicated than it actually is, which is part of why they need a decent integration with C4. Anyway, just follow the instructions step by step and if you run into any problems you are sure to find a solution in their forum.

Yes, but boxee has a bunch of internet content streams preconfigured. Now, whether you care or not is up to you. The content is eh and quality is pretty crappy, esp. on a front proj. system. But some folks like this sort of stuff.

I played with an Apple TV for two weeks with both XBMC and Boxee. In the end I didn't like it enough to keep it - back to the Apple Store it went. Waiting for EVA9150.

Max

Archived