C4 Forums | Control4

GFCI and generator questions

gdonnersc1

Question

I actually have two questions.

First, on a project I have going on with panel lighting, the electrician is saying that all of the lighting circuits must us a GFCI protected circuit breaker.  This is in an area that uses the 2014 National Electrical Code.  I see no references to this requirement anywhere.  Does this make any sense?

My second question has to do with combining the panel lighting with a house with a back-up generator.  What is the maximum frequency variation Control4 allows from transfer time to steady state operation?  The generator vendor is stating the following:

"Steady-state means that the load on the genset is not changing - that load could be 0%, 25%, 50%, 100%, etc.  The key is that the load is constant.  For all of those constant-load conditions, the frequency will not deviate by more than +/-1% ?  for a 60Hz machine, the frequency will always be between 59.4 and 60.6 Hz.

For a start-up and transient event, there will be a larger frequency dip (or overshoot for unloading).  We also do testing for this at various load steps (25%, 50%, 100%, etc.) and according to ISO 8528-5.  The allowable frequency dip depends on the G-level desired but can be as high as 15% (or 18% for overshoot)."

Will this cause any issues and if so, how should they be addressed.

Thanks for the help

1 answer to this question

I actually have two questions.

First, on a project I have going on with panel lighting, the electrician is saying that all of the lighting circuits must us a GFCI protected circuit breaker.  This is in an area that uses the 2014 National Electrical Code.  I see no references to this requirement anywhere.  Does this make any sense?

Yes. My 2014 remodel is the same. Stops numpties changing a light bulb from electrocution if they didn't turn the light off.

Archived