C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay AV is now NetPlay Pro

videostorm

NetPlay AV is now NetPlay Pro

Video Storm's innovative NetPlay AV H.264 video distribution system is now branded as NetPlay Pro. 

NetPlay Pro products will continue to be sold through our dealer portal for commercial and residential installations by professionals for video and audio distribution applications.  It includes full support for both centralized (equipment room) installations as well as decentralized installations.  Drivers for all our control system partners can be downloaded from our web site.  NetPlay Pro includes live phone support as well as email support.  Please have your dealer account details available when calling our tech support line.

Video Storm is excited to reveal the upcoming NetPlay Home products for the consumer market.  NetPlay Pro devices are fully inter-operable with our new NetPlay Home products.   Dealers can select the best products from either product line for their installations.

For information on joining our dealer program, please email sales@video-storm.com.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

can you elaborate on your Net Play home products?  What they are and how they can work with Netplay pro?

NetPlay Home is a new BYOH (bring your own hardware) video distribution system based on Android & AndroidTV.  It will be launching on KickStarter next week.

You can find a lot of information on our web site right now as well.  Web Link

It is fully inter-operable with NetPlay Pro products (everything you have now).  

Dealers will have early access to NetPlayTV starting next week.

26 minutes ago, videostorm said:

NetPlay Home is a new BYOH (bring your own hardware) video distribution system based on Android & AndroidTV.  It will be launching on KickStarter next week.

You can find a lot of information on our web site right now as well.  Web Link

It is fully inter-operable with NetPlay Pro products (everything you have now).  

Dealers will have early access to NetPlayTV starting next week.

thanks but that page doesnt seem to clear it up.  Basically you do not need the switch anymore but can get encoders for each source you need to distribute then watch those things at any tv that has the android box on it?  Can you watch the same stream in multiple rooms/tvs?  If so, whats the benefit of the Pro over the home stuff?

Also any plan to introduce 4k products?

NetPlay Pro is for

1. Commercial installations  (offices, sports bars, large venues, etc)
  2. Home installations where equipment will be centrally located and managed.  Particularly if audio amps will be centrally located.

NetPlay Pro gives you

• Rack mountable encoders with lip sync corrected audio outputs
  • Rack mountable DSP audio switches with lip sync correction for centralized amps
  • Integrated IR extension for 3rd party control systems
  • Custom decoder hardware (VRX020 and later VRX040) which provides centralized firmware updates/monitoring.  No need for Google Play accounts or setup at each TV.  Better suited for large scale installations.
  • Professionally installed and supported product

NetPlay Home is for

1. Residential DIY installation
  • Control is primarily via on screen NetPlay gui or NetPlayMobile app
  • External device IR and ethernet control managed by NetPlayManager  (plus IRUSB adapters as needed)
  • Designed to be installed without a centralized equipment rack
  • Designed to use 3rd party android media players or TVs as the decoder  (no VRX decoder product in netplay home)
  • Designed to use 3rd party hdmi encoders or our new CastHD encoder
  • Updates/installs managed through your Google Play or Amazon Appstore account
  • DIY installation, support via ticket systems

Most Control4 dealers will primarily use the NetPlay Pro products for the reasons above.  However, they may opt to use NetPlayTV decode instead of VRX020/040 in some zones depending on the customer and their requirements  (if they have Sony TVs or Amazon FireTVs already, prefer our on screen gui instead of C4, prefer to update via Google Play, etc).  In general, VRX020/040 are easier for a professional installer to manage (especially in large installations).  NetPlayTV is easier for the customer to manage themselves.

For 4K

Decoders:  

1. NetPlayTV supports 4K and HDR as long as the hardware it runs on does (anything recent will).  It will also support new standards as they come available on Android devices (you can swap the 3rd party hardware without changing your software license)
  2. VRX040 (around 5/2017) will support 4K and HDR.  It is a custom android streaming media box which is the next gen VRX product

Encoders:

1. CastHD  (NetPlay Home, 5/2017 if funded) is a small single channel 1080p encoder
  2. VTX400  (NetPlay Pro  summer 2017) is a rack mounted 4K encoder
  3. 3rd party 4K encoders are just coming out right now.  They will be shipping probably around march 2017.
  4. 3rd party 1080p encoders.  Widely available now.

As with all our products, you can use the 4K gear with the 1080 gear in the same system.

Also remember that with NetPlayTV you have full 4K capable Android streaming devices at each TV, so all your cloud 4K media is already available without needing (or paying for) the 4K encoders.

On 1/19/2017 at 5:54 PM, videostorm said:

NetPlay Pro is for

1. Commercial installations  (offices, sports bars, large venues, etc)
  2. Home installations where equipment will be centrally located and managed.  Particularly if audio amps will be centrally located.

NetPlay Pro gives you

• Rack mountable encoders with lip sync corrected audio outputs
  • Rack mountable DSP audio switches with lip sync correction for centralized amps
  • Integrated IR extension for 3rd party control systems
  • Custom decoder hardware (VRX020 and later VRX040) which provides centralized firmware updates/monitoring.  No need for Google Play accounts or setup at each TV.  Better suited for large scale installations.
  • Professionally installed and supported product

NetPlay Home is for

1. Residential DIY installation
  • Control is primarily via on screen NetPlay gui or NetPlayMobile app
  • External device IR and ethernet control managed by NetPlayManager  (plus IRUSB adapters as needed)
  • Designed to be installed without a centralized equipment rack
  • Designed to use 3rd party android media players or TVs as the decoder  (no VRX decoder product in netplay home)
  • Designed to use 3rd party hdmi encoders or our new CastHD encoder
  • Updates/installs managed through your Google Play or Amazon Appstore account
  • DIY installation, support via ticket systems

Most Control4 dealers will primarily use the NetPlay Pro products for the reasons above.  However, they may opt to use NetPlayTV decode instead of VRX020/040 in some zones depending on the customer and their requirements  (if they have Sony TVs or Amazon FireTVs already, prefer our on screen gui instead of C4, prefer to update via Google Play, etc).  In general, VRX020/040 are easier for a professional installer to manage (especially in large installations).  NetPlayTV is easier for the customer to manage themselves.

For 4K

Decoders:  

1. NetPlayTV supports 4K and HDR as long as the hardware it runs on does (anything recent will).  It will also support new standards as they come available on Android devices (you can swap the 3rd party hardware without changing your software license)
  2. VRX040 (around 5/2017) will support 4K and HDR.  It is a custom android streaming media box which is the next gen VRX product

Encoders:

1. CastHD  (NetPlay Home, 5/2017 if funded) is a small single channel 1080p encoder
  2. VTX400  (NetPlay Pro  summer 2017) is a rack mounted 4K encoder
  3. 3rd party 4K encoders are just coming out right now.  They will be shipping probably around march 2017.
  4. 3rd party 1080p encoders.  Widely available now.

As with all our products, you can use the 4K gear with the 1080 gear in the same system.

Also remember that with NetPlayTV you have full 4K capable Android streaming devices at each TV, so all your cloud 4K media is already available without needing (or paying for) the 4K encoders.

so if I already have 4 VRX010 and a 4 board VTX100 I wanted to add 1-2 new new end points (TVs) I could incorporate NetPlay Home?  Would I be able to access the sources inputted into the VTX100 on those new TV installations  using NetPlay Home?  Would there be any benefits or drawbacks to this set up?  

Your virtual matrix manager will need to be a VRX020.  Otherwise, yes they will work together.  NetPlayTV (running on an AndroidTV or Android media player) acts just like a VRX device.  It is designed to work this way for simple upgrades, so no real drawbacks.

hmm interesting, so if I update one VRX 010 to a VRX 020 then I could get Netplay Home to other TVs?  since Netplay home is DIY do you have pricing for the various components?  Would ordering be through you or a dealer?  

With a super bowl party coming up I was looking at moving a TV from our guest room into the dining room as we serve food in the dining room, but people watch the game in my basement or living room.  I did not want them to miss action in the dining room while getting food, eating, etc.  In this case, I could just plug the TV in, hook up an android wifi box to it and I could have the same cable box stream (no extra days, all in sync) to that TV?

I also may want to add a TV to the kitchen and this would save me from running ethernet wires to that location, correct?  I could use the existing sources in the VTX and play them on this new TV as long as I get an android box on that TV?

Currently I use the OSD for both text and my IP Cameras (ex: doorbell rings, doorstation camera appears on the TV), could I still do that with Netplay home?

Yes, it just requires your virtual matrix is VRX020 or NetPlayManager.  Consumers will be able to purchase NetPlay Home products through our Kickstarter launch which should go live in a couple days.  Dealers can purchase through us in early access in a couple of days.  NetPlay Home products are retail products with published pricing.  NetPlayTV licenses are only $90 each (perpetual software license).

NetPlay TV will run on the android media streaming box (such as FireTV).  The output would be in sync with your VRX decoder outputs.  However, we do not recommend Wifi for HD  or better quality unless you have almost zero wifi interference (or commercial grade wifi).  It should be wired ethernet (either cat5/6 or using moca adapters).  Wifi is for mobile devices which receive lower bit rate streams.  Most homes already have coax (cable tv) in most rooms of the house, so using Moca adapters is the best retrofit solution.

That said, we don't PREVENT you from using wifi.  Just keep in mind it is UDP transmission so if you loose packets due to interference it results in picture artifacts.

Graphics and text OSD, Video PIP, Video Tiling all works in the new NetPlayTV.  In some ways it is even better because you can control/select it directly using on-screen controls (in addition to through your centralized c4 system).

so in the future instead of buying a new VRX from my dealer I can just buy 1 $90 license and use a Fire TV to add more TV's to the system?  If so that is great.

Assuming no way I can get my hands on this prior to the Super Bowl huh....even with some packet loss, it would be for keeping a TV temporarily in my dining room during our annual super bowl party, not really critical since I have it on in 2 other rooms.  but would be nice to watch while getting food, etc

Correct, although you would still need the VRX020 or NetPlay Manager for the virtual matrix.  

If you back the Kickstarter project you would receive them in early March.  Full retail sales (of NetPlay Home) without Kickstarter is summer 2017.

Dealers can purchase NetPlay TV early though, starting later this week.

Archived