C4 Forums | Control4

I'm having a strange problem with the Auto Power Room feature on my Sonos Connect System with Control4 and Receiver.  The behavior is reliable, but not what I expect.

When I start playing a Sonos stream using my Sonos App, the appropriate room will Auto Power on.  However, when I try to group another room using the app, the grouped rooms do not Auto Power on.  This is a problem since I want people to be able to use the Sonos App to control selections, grouping, and volume instead of having to reach for a C4 remote.  In addition, I have a receiver on one of the Sonos Connects that needs to have its volume set to a specific level in order to have enough volume.  Before this "Endorsed" driver, everything worked great.  I'm not sure why a Sonos player no longer has its Play and Playing variable switch when grouped like it used to.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Should I just go pry the old drivers out of an old project file and force C4 to use them instead?  Is there a better workaround?  It seems like as far as the C4 controller is concerned the Sonos is still off, but it is indeed playing music.

What app are you using to group? 

How is this set up? multiple connect amps or a few connects into some type of c4 audio device. 

Either way way sounds like programming/driver setup wasn't put back the same when drivers were swapped. Endorsed driver should allow c4/sonos to follow each other regardless of where commands are initiated. 

The Sonos App.

Sonos Connects to Dumb amps in the other rooms.  Sonos Connect with a receiver in Living Room.  Fresh install of endorsed drivers.  This project never had the old drivers.  Sonos Units are both the Audio endpoints for their respective rooms except for the Living Room where Sonos is only the volume endpoint, but the receiver is the Audio Endpoint.  It doesn't seem to matter which way I do it.  Living Room to kitchen.  The grouping in Sonos does not ever match C4 when using the Sonos App and never has.  Auto power only seems to work on the room I initiated Sonos on.

I have many many projects.  All the ones that used the old driver have zero problems grouping.  This one that has only ever had Endorsed Drivers does not work.  Although I do appreciate you attempting to call me out here.

Since I live in Maui tech support closes by the time I get home where I have this set up.  Also, we have this awesome forum where we can ask questions to the Control4 community that may be able to help.  However, If you don't have anything helpful other than basically telling me RTFM and call someone else, please go find another thread.

How much troubleshooting have you done? Does each zone auto play independently if started from off? How did you add drivers? Via network driver or 1 by 1 selecti g rooms? How many sonos devices are hardwired to the network? Have you power cycled the controller ?

Update:  After rebooting the controller, the system will behave properly for a short while.  It will auto-power the living room when started in the kitchen then grouped to the living room.  However, it loses its mind after awhile and the living room will only auto-power when starting with the living room.  All devices are communicating just fine on the network, but just drops the ball when communicating with the Sonos system. Annoying.  With Debug On while the problem was occurring, there would be no data in the window when grouping from another zone.  After reboot, just fine with loads of data populating as expected.  Not sure how to make this stable.  Sonos are on DHCP reservations on the network.  The C4 Controller is static.  One Sonos-Amp is wireless.  I may have to run a cat 5 to it and disable the wifi mesh.

Broadcast storm. Do you have the connects daisy chained too??

you should just let the sonos run off their own mesh or hardware them directly to a switch and disable the wireless all together. Just remember sonos tech support won't help you if the wireless is off

Archived