C4 Forums | Control4

Buttons, buttons, and more buttons!

So, I've seen several posts and had a few private discussions about Amazon's Dash Buttons.  As has been noted previously, the "out of the box" IoT button is not suitable, because it only works through Amazon Web Services (extra charges) and since it posts data outside the home network, there's no good way to post those events back INTO the network (outside of IFTTT).  

I have started looking, and I believe it's feasible to hijack Dash button presses with my homebridge network appliance, and route those events directly into a Control4 driver.  No external network required.  Just stickable button goodness.  

I will be offering this feature as a free add-on to my appliance firmware.  The "Dash Button" driver will be $100 MSRP, under my current thinking, and will support an unlimited number of Dash buttons.

Also of interest... the setup I'll be using will support *any* dash button, not just the IoT buttons.  So if you don't mind having a "Huggies" label that you need to put a sticker over, you can get buttons for $5 from Amazon and repurpose them, rather than waiting 1-2 months (IoT buttons are backordered) and paying $25 for the IoT version.

42 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yeah, totally, we talked about this months ago and about you adding it to your bridge, it wouldn't be hard at all to add scapy and a config file to your bridge..

Right... the real trick will be keeping it "elegant".  I really like the ease of use I've been able to manage with the HomeKit stuff.  I'd prefer to keep anything else I add into that ecosystem with the same level of "easy button" approach.

• 11 months later...

Archived