C4 Forums | Control4

Simple Timer question

yelkenli

Does a 'Stop Timer' action result in resetting the timer to its start point, in order to be ready for the next 'Start'?

The documentation does not indicate that this is the case.  A 'Reset' results in the timer 'resetting and then restarting'.  There is nothing in the documentation that indicates how to 'stop and set the timer to its base value'.  The video on C4 sets up programs that will only be successful if a 'Stop' action also sets the timer to its base value. 

https://www.control4.com/documentation/Composer_HE_User_Guide/Programming_with_the_Timer_Agent.htm

Video

1 hour ago, yelkenli said:

Does a 'Stop Timer' action result in resetting the timer to its start point, in order to be ready for the next 'Start'?

Sort of - it's not that the stop command resets the time to its start point, exactly, but that the "Start" command always starts the timer at the beginning of the interval.  If you have a 10 minute timer and stop it halfway thru, when you then start it again, it starts at 10 minutes.  So far as I know, there is no value for the current time remaining on a stopped timer - when you stop a timer, it's just stopped, not "stopped with 5 minutes remaining."

I think maybe what you're looking at is that there are "Start" and "Reset" commands, thinking that the "Start" command must just pick up where it left off (while "Reset" starts back at the beginning), but that's not the case.  Under most circumstances, the "Start" function will have the same effect on your programming as "Reset."  The only difference being that (on an already running timer) the "Reset" command fires off "Stop" and "Start" commands in sequence, rather than just restarting the timer interval.  This only matters if you've programmed off of the "Start" or "Stop" of a timer (since you'll get both of those if you issue a reset command).

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I've got that wrong.

This came up a while back causing some confusion..

Here's what it comes down to:

Timer not running:
START starts the timer from 0, triggering any programming for START
STOP stops the timer triggering any programming for STOP
RESET starts the timer from 0, triggering any programming for START

Timer running:
START resets the timer to 0, start the timer but triggers NO programming events
STOP stops the timer triggering any programming for STOP
RESET starts the timer from 0, triggering any programming for START AND STOP

Archived