C4 Forums | Control4

iTunes, NAS and Media Scanning

I have a client who has pretty crap internet and wants to utilize the network attached storage capabilities of Control4 to playback his music.

We attempted to do this before with a USB stick in the controller but he thought the process too cumbersome trying to upload manually. The ShairBridge seems to be extremely sporadic from his Mac's iTunes playback ("Airplay Devices is not Available" is the message that pops up frequently). I have a Time Capsule on site but I've heard the NAS feature is fairly useless.

My thoughts are to buy a WD MyCloud 4TB, copy over his iTunes library onto the drive, set up the drive as the permanent home of the iTunes Library for future purchases and then have Control4 login and scan the media on intervals or manually via on-screen. Has anyone done this? Issues? Better solution? Thank you!

2 minutes ago, jermcg said:

Better solution? Thank you!

How many individual streams are desired? There's an iTunes driver that maintains a similar 'feel' to how you browse music (and can select playlists from iTunes).

If one stream is plenty, just get a cheap computer, use the audio out and leave it in the rack, have itunes set to auto sync.

In general stored music works fine, but it;s interface is heavily made around the idea of "CDs" as the main selection option, not individual songs like iTunes.

• 4 weeks later...

On 4/24/2018 at 7:28 PM, jermcg said:

I have a client who has pretty crap internet and wants to utilize the network attached storage capabilities of Control4 to playback his music.

We attempted to do this before with a USB stick in the controller but he thought the process too cumbersome trying to upload manually. The ShairBridge seems to be extremely sporadic from his Mac's iTunes playback ("Airplay Devices is not Available" is the message that pops up frequently). I have a Time Capsule on site but I've heard the NAS feature is fairly useless.

My thoughts are to buy a WD MyCloud 4TB, copy over his iTunes library onto the drive, set up the drive as the permanent home of the iTunes Library for future purchases and then have Control4 login and scan the media on intervals or manually via on-screen. Has anyone done this? Issues? Better solution? Thank you!

I recently fought this same battle in the threads below, and I am really happy with how it turned out.  I ended up installing Twonky on my Mac and pointing it at my iTunes library.  Together with the DLNA driver, and using an Apple script to create the folder.jpg files (all links in threads).  It is working great and solved all the problems I had with NAS, iTunes, and Shairbridge.  I hope this helps you and your customer.

Archived