C4 Forums | Control4

My Control4 Build w/ Mac Pro Integration

well_armed

In this configuration and scale it's essentially the same thing. The box connected to the DAS is providing network access to a centralized storage pool. The NAS boxes most of use are running have an embedded Linux kernel running on them - tuned for NAS services and disk management. In larger scale installations, one could argue, the box conected to the DAS could be replaced and/or scaled up to support 2 or more network interfaces, more memory, faster procs, etc - to accommodate additional streams and/or the requirements of different access methods.

With the NAS units its a forklift upgrade. Net-net - same thing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe his DAS is attached to the Mac Pro with four eSata cables. Each eSata cable can do 3 GB/second. A single gigabit ethernet cat5 cable can only do 1 GB/second. So I think the point of the rack mounted DAS is for higher speed data transfers. This is way overkill for just streaming a movie, but a DAS is often used for much more than that.

The downside I guess is the Mac Pro (or other home theater PC) with the DAS needs to be always on, and it uses a lot more energy than your average joe NAS.

I'm probably 3 months away from my Control4 install and still researching my build. However, here's a couple of posts I'd like to share:

Regarding the mac/mac mini video server build:

http://www.htguys.com/mac-mini-video-server

Regarding converting video AND digital audio into HDMI from the mac display port:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2#description

Regarding video and audio distribution and SCALING video to different sources:

www.justaddpower.com

I'm probably 3 months away from my Control4 install and still researching my build. However, here's a couple of posts I'd like to share:

Regarding the mac/mac mini video server build:

http://www.htguys.com/mac-mini-video-server

Regarding converting video AND digital audio into HDMI from the mac display port:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2#description

Regarding video and audio distribution and SCALING video to different sources:

www.justaddpower.com

In my opinion, the Mac Mini is not powerful enough and costs way too much for what you get.

These chords that sandwich the sound have proved to be nothing but crap to me. Maybe this one is better, but they all have failed my ear test.

FYI the Just add power doesnt carry anything better than 5.1 audio on the signal...for you home theater guys.

(I have a dedicated HDMI chord going to the family room t.v. from the A/V closet so I really dont need it, and I already have a great working component switch so why spend another $5K)

JAP actually only does two channel Dolby, Ed Qualls recently disclosed in this forum.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=38792#p38792

so its really only for distributed video in non-theater applications.

Your problem is you are trying to get HDMI, component, and two audio outputs (one being 5.1, the other stereo) out of the same computer. This ain't going to happen with a Mac. It will take a custom built HTPC.

JAP actually only does two channel Dolby, Ed Qualls recently disclosed in this forum.

Your problem is you are trying to get HDMI, component, and two audio outputs (one being 5.1, the other stereo) out of the same computer. This ain't going to happen with a Mac. It will take a custom built HTPC.

Only two channel Dolby? Wow that is disappointing.

Exactly, I need a PC for what I am trying to do.

In my opinion, the Mac Mini is not powerful enough and costs way too much for what you get.

Depends on what you are using it for. If youre using it just to play media, then yes it probably is a bit much but at the same time you have the ability to run XBMC, or any other media player interface of your choice as opposed to being stuck with a manufacturer provided interface. You have the ability to upgrade a bit, albeit limited. You have wired and wireless internet, etc.

On top of that I am using my mac mini as a constant low power, low profile computer to download and do other tasks, so for $350 (used) it was only about $150 more than the good media-player-only solutions and I have a lot of added functionality. Since new it would have been $600, I think the AsRock ION is probably a better bet.

chord = A combination of three or more pitches sounded simultaneously

cord = A slender length of flexible material usually made of twisted strands or fibers and used to bind, tie, connect, or support

Just an FYI =)

Cant stop there... :)

CHORD

# a straight line connecting two points on a curve

# harmonize: bring into consonance, harmony, or accord while making music or singing

# a combination of three or more notes that blend harmoniously when sounded together

CORD

# a line made of twisted fibers or threads; "the bundle was tied with a cord"

# a unit of amount of wood cut for burning; 128 cubic feet

# stack in cords; "cord firewood"

# a light insulated conductor for household use

# bind or tie with a cord

# a cut pile fabric with vertical ribs; usually made of cotton

JAP actually only does two channel Dolby' date=' Ed Qualls recently disclosed in this forum.

Your problem is you are trying to get HDMI, component, and two audio outputs (one being 5.1, the other stereo) out of the same computer. This ain't going to happen with a Mac. It will take a custom built HTPC.[/quote']

Only two channel Dolby? Wow that is disappointing.

Exactly, I need a PC for what I am trying to do.

You should look into Niveus - the Zone Pro has the following connections:

Video Output

(1) DVI [HDMI 1.3 via included DVI>HDMI Adapter]

Audio Output

(3) Mini analog outputs for 5.1 analog surround, (1) Toslink optical digital port for 5.1 digital output, HDMI for 7.1 digital output

USB (2.0)

(2) Front Panel, (4) Rear Panel

eSATA

(1) Rear Panel

In addition, it has a built in BD disc player and can play back BD .iso files (including profile 2.0 support and menu structure navigation). We're going to be installing about six of these in two upcoming jobs.

http://niveus.com/

Only one video output though....I need at least two that way I can supply video to the key digital swith and the Pioneer Reciever.

The $15K model will do what I want, but that is $15K! :cool:

The Zone Pro isn't $15k. MSRP is $2400

It has HDMI and DVI outputs. The N7 Pro rackmount adds component.

What makes the Niveus WM7 platform better than the over the counter edition? What is the premium of using their system over my own Windows 7 system?

Stability. Hardware and software (drivers) that meet the stated capabilities and do it very well. Solid state drives for the OS. Out of the box BD playback. Nothing to configure or setup. Windows 7 by default limits you to 4 TV tuners, but Niveus is a platinum Microsoft partner and has enabled a custom addon allowing a maximum of 8 tuners (OTA HD or CableCard for example). The custom media database is much better than the standard WM7. Oh and a Control4 driver.

Only one video output though....I need at least two that way I can supply video to the key digital swith and the Pioneer Reciever.

The $15K model will do what I want' date=' but that is $15K! :cool:[/quote']

The Zone Pro isn't $15k. MSRP is $2400

It has HDMI and DVI outputs. The N7 Pro rackmount adds component.

The N7 Pro is $15K I thought? Can I get my eSata card in there for my DAS?

What makes the Niveus WM7 platform better than the over the counter edition? What is the premium of using their system over my own Windows 7 system?

Stability. Hardware and software (drivers) that meet the stated capabilities and do it very well. Solid state drives for the OS. Out of the box BD playback. Nothing to configure or setup. Windows 7 by default limits you to 4 TV tuners' date=' but Niveus is a platinum Microsoft partner and has enabled a custom addon allowing a maximum of 8 tuners (OTA HD or CableCard for example). The custom media database is much better than the standard WM7. Oh and a Control4 driver.[/quote']

Wait, what? Control4 drivers???

The N7 Pro is $15K I thought? Can I get my eSata card in there for my DAS?

Negative. MSRP is $7999. The N7 doesn't have eSATA, but the Zone Pro does. There don't appear to be traditional PC slots available to add your own cards.

Wait, what? Control4 drivers???

What did you expect? ;)

It is pretty cool, but I just dont like the scalability of the actual hardware and the reliance on one manufacturere That is one of the reasons why I am moving away from the Mac to the HTPC.

Fair enough. Just thought I would throw it out there. You seem to be too DIY for that option :)

Can you recommend any "good" rack mountable 2U or 3U case that allows front DVD loading and shallower depth (19" or so)?

My upper rack is where I want to put it, and I limited by depth and am not finding too much in the case department

Archived