C4 Forums | Control4

Plex and ATV2

Hi,

I have Plex installed on my ATV2 and have read about the famous XMBC driver and its compatability with Plex. I m struggling though how to set this up, my dealer installed the driver but I dont seem to be having a lot of success and cant find any definative info on how it should be set up. I really like the way PLEX shows the cover art and am wondering what I need to do to mirror this via C4.

Currently I use my matrix to switch to ATV2 and launch Plex which is running on a MacMini or via the iPad app, this all works fine.

Would I gain a benefit going the XMBC driver route, as it would be nice to select a Movie or TV Show direct from the ipad?

Any thoughts very much welcome. I tried the route in the C4 Media section but with pretty limited success as my TV shows scan in the format PLEX uses for its scrapers ie "24 01x01.xxx" for 24 Series 1 Episode 1.

I've been working on and XBMC driver and I know Alan on this forum already has one with similar capabilities. What they can do with the JSON interface and 2 way communication is leagues ahead of the previous driver in terms of functionality (I'm hoping Alan won't mind me saying that).

Essentially I've got mine set up to fire an event in control4 when things like play, pause, stop are triggered in XBMC. That means I can switch to XBMC using the control4 remote, then pass the ipad to a friend with XBMC commander running (I'm sorry guys but the interface knocks spots off control4 in terms of look and feel). When they select a movie and press play within commander, blinds go down, lights lower etc. Pause the movie and lights go up and so on. These are all triggered two way over the json api. Obviously all the standard remote stuff works as usual.

Another neat feature of the driver I've been working on is that it'll import your movie library from XBMC into control4 so if you do want to do it all from a C4 touch screen or remote you can. You can get it to power down your device when you do a room off, and even boot it up using WOL.

What else do you need to know? The only thing I can't tell you is how well XBMC and the driver will run on ATV2 as I don't have one to test it (that and you'd need to jailbreak the ATV).

This is exactly how I d like to choose my Movies or TV Shows via the plex front end as I agree it knocks spots of control4.

How exactly do you get to switch to XMBC from the control4 remote, maybe thats where my disconnect is.

If it's set up correctly by your dealer, you should just see it as a source when you go to "watch". It should then have been set up to switch your TV to the correct input. Having said that, a lot of the functionality I've described above wouldn't be available using the old driver to run with Plex, at best you're going to get simple control (up, down, left, right, play pause etc.).

• 1 month later...

Archived