C4 Forums | Control4

Question on how to run connections.

ekohn00

I have an interesting question.

Currently we use the EV iTunes driver to control iTunes on a MacPro. (works great).

The MacPro line out goes to a HC300. The HC300 then connects to an 8 zone AMP.

This connection works great. All zones connected to the amp can pick up iTunes and any other controller can also pick up iTunes as a music source. Which solved my problem of getting iTunes out to the pool house.

One thing I was wondering is how much i must be degrading the quality of the digital files by going through a HC300 to the C4 Amp? I do notice volume needs to be turned up Vs. a direct connection to the amp from the mac pro.

Obviously for zones, like the pool house, not connected to the 8 zone amp, I need to still go through the HC300.

So I am considering options......

1. Can I use a Y-Cable from the macro and run stereo lines to both the C4AMP and HC300? Of course the 300 would no longer connect to the C4 AMP.

2. Any other ideas? I guess I could use the 16 port switch, but that would be a waste of money.

thanks.

Connect both HC300 outputs to the C4 Amp and connect the MacPro to the input on the 300. Just make sure that the volume on the 300 outputs are at maximum.

Why both? I have 1 now, how does both make a difference?

Im still wondering if the y cable will give a better result?

Thanks.

Give it a shot and see. The y method doesn't always work, but it some cases it works fine, even if you have to fake out composer. For electrical reason you would be better off getting an active signal splitter vs. to cheap Y adapters. I would test it first.

Archived